Source: Liberal Party of Canada
Montréal, QC – Today, the Liberal Party of Canada released a new TV ad to highlight that a re-elected Liberal government will continue to advance gender equality and promote women’s rights.
“As women, we have a lot to be proud of, in a country where we embrace our differences, and where we’ve protected a woman’s right to choose. And when we’re proud, we choose forward,” said Mélanie Joly, Liberal candidate for Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Valérie Renaud-Martin, Liberal candidate for Trois-Rivières, and Chantal Pilon, Liberal candidate for Rimouski-Neigette-Témiscouata-Les Basques in the new ad.
Last week, we announced important measures that a re-elected Liberal government will take to support women, including creating hundreds of thousands of new before and after school care spaces, nearly doubling federal spending on child care, and moving forward to deliver Guaranteed Paid Family Leave for every new parent in Canada. Because child care still falls disproportionately to women, these measures represent an important step forward for gender equality and will make a difference for families across Canada.
“Our Liberal government has put gender equality at the heart of our work since day one. And whether it’s here at home or beyond our borders, we’ve made important progress,” said the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, Justin Trudeau. “But there’s so much more to do – and we’re going to keep working together to build a more equal Canada and a better world.”
Over the last four years, the Liberal government took historic steps to advance the rights of women, girls, and people of all gender identities.
- We passed unprecedented pay equity legislation;
- We took action to promote women’s leadership on boards and in the C-suite;
- We boosted support for women entrepreneurs with a plan to double the number of women entrepreneurs by 2025;
- We created the first ever federal Strategy to Prevent and Address Gender-Based Violence;
- We created more than 7,000 shelter spaces for survivors of family violence through our National Housing Strategy;
- We launched Canada’s first Feminist International Assistance Policy;
- We announced an unprecedented investment to protect the sexual and reproductive health rights of women and girls everywhere, including universal access to family planning, contraception, comprehensive sexuality education, and access to safe and legal abortion and post-abortion care; and
- We passed legislation that added gender identity and expression as a protected ground in the Canada Human Rights Act.
“Whether it’s health care or support for survivors of sexual assault, the Conservatives want to slash access to vital services and roll back the clock on women’s rights,” said Mr. Trudeau. “We can’t take the progress we’ve made for granted. We have to stand united, work together, and choose forward on gender equality.”
New Liberal Ad: Choisir d’avancer — Fières