Post sponsored by

Source: UK Government

Venue for this year’s LoS Festival: Kachere Kastle

If you’re heading to the Lake of Stars festival between 27 – 29 September in northern Malawi (Kachere Kastle), check out the following information and advice page. The vast majority of British tourists don’t encounter any problems but it’s best to be aware of a few things before you go.
Before you go
Remember to take out travel insurance. It could save you a lot of money if you get into difficulties. Make sure you carry the emergency contact number and policy number with you and leave a copy of your policy with someone at home
Take 2 photocopies of your passport. Leave one at home and take the other with you
Tell family or friends where you’ll be staying
Fill in the last page of your passport with your emergency contacts
At the festival
Keep your valuables locked in a safe place (such as a hotel safe or locker on the festival site) and carry as few valuables as possible
Carry a photocopy of your passport around with you
Keep some spare cash separate from the rest
Keep your cash and mobile in a zipped pocket
Avoid walking home on your own. Take care on public transport and don’t be distracted.
If you plan to drive to the festival please ensure you lock car doors and keep windows closed. Armed carjacking is a risk, especially for drivers of four-by-four vehicles. Don’t offer lifts to strangers and look out for obstructions in the road ahead
Parking is available and is located approximately 1km away from the venue. We believe shuttle buses will be available. Vehicles and contents are left entirely at the owner’s risk. Please plan accordingly and do not leave any valuables in your vehicle.
Since elections in May 2019, Malawi has seen widespread demonstrations, which have on occasion turned violent; you should avoid large crowds or demonstrations and monitor our travel advice and local media for updates
Laws and customs can be different in other countries. Penalties for drug possession can be severe. If you need help
The festival should have an information point you can go to for help and advice and to look for lost property
In an emergency, call 997 (Police), 998 (Ambulance) and 999 (Fire Brigade)
If your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time for travel, you can get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) to get you home. You’ll need to get a police report, if lost or stolen, and fill in an online application form, pay £100 online and go to the British High Commission to collect the Emergency Travel Document. If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

MIL OSI United Kingdom