Source: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
* Paris St Germain secured a convincing 4-1 victory at Monaco in a rescheduled game to open an eight-point lead at the top of the Ligue 1 standings on Wednesday, with Kylian Mbappe scoring twice.
* Juventus and AC Milan cruised into the last eight of the Italian Cup on Wednesday (Jan 15) following their 4-0 and 3-0 routes of Udinese and SPAL, respectively.
* Angelique Kerber’s preparations for the opening Grand Slam of the year were dealt a blow Wednesday (Jan 15) when she was forced to retire from the Adelaide International with back pain when behind 6-3, 2-0 in her second-round clash with Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska.
* Tennis greats Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal pledged AUS$250,000 (US$172,000) towards the Australian bushfire relief efforts at a charity event on Wednesday in the leadup to the Australian Open.
* Tottenham Hotspur have signed Benfica midfielder Gedson Fernandes on an 18-month loan deal with the option of making the transfer permanent, the Premier League club announced on Wednesday (Jan 15).
* Serena Williams will return to the United States Fed Cup team for a qualifying event against Latvia next month, the United States Tennis Association said on Wednesday. The 23-times Grand Slam winner last played for the US in February 2018 following the birth of her daughter.
* Cooler temperatures and clearing skies following torrential rain on Wednesday allowed officials to continue the qualifying tournament for the Australian Open on Thursday, with forecast smoke haze expected to clear throughout the day.
* The Africa Cup of Nations will revert back to its traditional slot in January and February next year to avoid the rainy season, the football federation of host country Cameroon (FECACOOT) said on Wednesday.
* Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said on Wednesday that he is looking to help Alexandre Lacazette rediscover his goal-scoring touch with fellow striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang set to serve a three-match ban.