Post sponsored by

Source: Wales – City of Newport

Posted on Wednesday 15th January 2020

EU citizens who want to live, work or study in the UK after Britain leaves the EU need to apply to the settlement scheme.

Newport City Council now offers a document scanning service to support people making an application under the scheme.

Are you an EU national living in Newport?  

If you are a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen, you and your family need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) enables EU nationals living in the UK, and their family members, to obtain the UK immigration status they will require to live, work and study in the UK after Britain leaves the EU.

Applications must be made before 30 June 2021 or 31December 2020 if there is a no deal exit. To apply online visit

Newport Register Office now offers a document scanning service where you can get your ID documents scanned and verified in order to make an application.

The service is available between 9am and 3pm on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and between 9.30am and 3pm on a Tuesday. No appointment is required but you may need to wait for a member of staff to be available.

The service is based at Newport Register Office, The Mansion House, 4 Stow Park Circle, Newport NP20 4HE.

What to bring

  • your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email
  • £14 per adult applicant (no charge for children under 18 who attend at the same time as an adult applicant). Cash or card is accepted.

**Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us**

Help and advice

There are a number of services in Newport that can help you apply to the EUSS, provide you with advice or attend the scanning service with you. You can find further details on the Welsh Government website

If you would like help contacting an organisation who can support you, please email

MIL OSI United Kingdom