Source: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
Goals from Chris Wood and Jay Rodriguez ensured victory for Sean Dyche’s Burnley on a night when United looked nothing like a ‘big six’ team. The defeat leaves United fifth in the standings, six points adrift of Chelsea who currently occupy the fourth Champions League qualification spot.
* Paris St Germain were always in control as they sealed a 3-0 victory at Stade de Reims to reach the French League Cup final on Wednesday. Thomas Tuchel’s team will face Olympique Lyonnais, who beat Lille on penalties on Tuesday, in a Stade de France showdown on April 4.
* Cristiano Ronaldo continued his scoring streak with the opener as Juventus cruised past AS Roma 3-1 in their Coppa Italia quarter-final on Wednesday, scoring all their goals in the first half. Gonzalo Higuain set Ronaldo free down the left and the irrepressible Portuguese fired his shot into the far corner in the 26th minute to claim his 13th goal in the last 10 matches he has played in.
* Real Madrid earned a hard-fought 3-1 win over Spanish third-tier Unionistas de Salamanca on Wednesday to reach the last 16 of the Copa del Rey. Meanwhile, Barcelona’s Antoine Griezmann struck a late double to help them come from behind to beat third-tier UD Ibiza 2-1 and avoid an embarrassing Copa del Rey last-32 exit on the same day.
* Tottenham Hotspur returned to winning ways in the Premier League but hardly issued a statement of intent as they laboured to a 2-1 victory over bottom club Norwich City on Wednesday. Jose Mourinho’s side had not won in four league games and had failed to find the net in their last three and it needed a late Son Heung-min header to earn three points.
* The Republic of Korea and Saudi Arabia claimed two of Asia’s three places in the Olympic soccer tournament in Japan later this year after reaching the final of the Asian Under-23 Championship on Wednesday. The Koreans beat Australia 2-0, a victory that was more comprehensive than the scoreline suggests, while Saudi Arabia edged past Uzbekistan 1-0 to book their place at the Olympics for the first time since 1996.
* Third seed Roger Federer hit winners at will in an imperious display as he cantered into the third round of the Australian Open with a 6-1 6-4 6-1 thumping of Serb Filip Krajinovic on Wednesday. Next up for Federer, who was broken only once in the match, will be a meeting against local hope John Millman.
* Spanish right back Alvaro Odriozola has joined Bayern Munich on loan from Real Madrid until the end of the season, the German champions said on Wednesday. The former Real Sociedad defender, 24, joined Real Madrid in 2018 but has played only four La Liga matches this season.
* Caroline Wozniacki refused to be rushed into retirement on Wednesday (Jan 22) as the former world number one fought back from 5-1 down in the first set to beat Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska 7-5 7-5 in the second round of the Australian Open. Wozniacki will face Ons Jabeur in the next round after the Tunisian beat Caroline Garcia of France 1-6 6-2 6-3.
* Defending champion Novak Djokovic banished the ghosts of wildcards past by despatching Japan’s Tatsuma Ito 6-1 6-4 6-2 to sail into the third round of the Australian Open on Wednesday. The world number two was famously knocked out of the second round at Melbourne Park by Uzbek wildcard Denis Istomin three years ago in the upset of the tournament. He had no such problem against Ito, who earned his place in the draw with victory in the Asia-Pacific wildcard playoff.