Source: Unite Union New Zealand
Find out who can apply and what criteria you need to meet for the COVID-19 Income Relief Payment.
You may be able to apply for the Income Relief Payment if you:
- lost your last job or self-employment from 1 March 2020 to 30 October 2020 (inclusive) because of the impacts of COVID-19
- normally worked 15 hours or more a week (for 12 weeks or more) before you lost your work because of COVID-19
- were normally living in New Zealand when you lost your job.
You must also be:
- a New Zealand citizen or a resident with a residence class visa
- normally living in New Zealand
- 18 years old or over, or a financially independent 16- or 17-year-old.
There’s more criteria if you are:
Who can’t get it
You will not qualify for the COVID-19 Income Relief Payment if you:
- get a redundancy payment of $30,000 or more, before tax
- get or used to get private income protection insurance payments for the job you lost
- are getting weekly earnings-related compensation from ACC or Veterans’ Affairs
- left your job for another reason – for example you:
- wound up a viable business, or
- were dismissed (eg. for misconduct)
- still have a job.