MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
It will become part of a new urban space with a comfortable seating area.
The construction of the pedestrian zone between the Cathedral of Christ the Savior and the Yakimanskaya embankment has been completed.
“For its organization, we reconstructed the Patriarshy Bridge on the section between Bersenevskaya and Yakimanskaya embankments, here amphitheaters, staircases and elevators have appeared. Spaces for small social and cultural centers have been set up under the bridge itself. The section of the Bolotnaya Embankment adjacent to the Patriarch Bridge was also improved. There is a descent to the water, ”said the head of the capital
HPP-2 is being restored on Bolotnaya Embankment – the building of the former power plant will turn into a cultural cluster with a comfortable recreation area, exhibition and concert halls.
After restoration, a Museum of Contemporary Art will open here, which, together with the reconstructed embankment and bridge, will become part of the new urban space.
The total area of the museum and educational complex will be 41 thousand square meters. There will be four ground and two underground floors. In addition to the museum, the building will open a library, a bookstore, a cafe and an auditorium that can be transformed into a concert hall.
Workshops, pedestrian zone and exhibition halls: what will appear on the territory of the renovated HPP-2Solar panels and rainwater filters: modern eco-technologies will be used as part of the reconstruction of HPP-2
The central power station of the city tram, which later became the Mosenergo HPP-2, was built at the Maly Kamenny Bridge on the bank of the Vodootvodny Canal in 1904–1908 according to the project of Vasily Bashkirov. In the design of the facades, the architect used elements in the neo-Russian style. A unique feature of the building is the glass roof, designed by engineer Nikolai Sushkin with the participation of architect Vladimir Shukhov.
In 2006, it was decided to decommission HPP-2, and three years later it received the status of a cultural heritage site of regional significance (“The Central Power Station of the City Tram, 1904–1908, architect V.N. Bashkirov”).
In November 2014, PJSC Mosenergo sold the property complex of HPP-2 to an investor who decided to restore the building and create a museum and educational complex in it. The concept for the restoration of HPP-2 was developed by the international workshop of the Italian architect Renzo Piano, the author of the Pompidou Center in Paris.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.