MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
An authentic cast iron baluster adorned the historic staircase. Thanks to this discovery, the craftsmen will be able to return the monument to its original appearance.
In Moscow, the restoration of one of the oldest buildings on Lyusinovskaya Street – the main house of the city estate of the Sushkin merchants – A.B. Kevorkov, which is an identified cultural heritage site. Its restoration began in March 2020.
Before that, the building was in an unsatisfactory state: there were through cracks in the walls, all engineering systems were turned off. In 2017, a fire broke out here, which destroyed part of the roof and ceilings.
“The restoration of the main house of the Sushkin-Kevorkov estate is in full swing. Recently, restorers have found in the basement a genuine cast-iron baluster that adorned the historic staircase. Thanks to this discovery, the craftsmen will be able to most accurately recreate the metal fence of the stairs, which means that they will return the monument to its original appearance. The full range of works is planned to be completed by the end of 2021 “, – said the head
To date, work has already been completed on the roof, as well as strengthening the foundations. The restorers plastered the facade and installed the windows. In addition, the emergency ceilings in the eastern part of the building were dismantled, work was carried out to dismantle the late partitions and the later layers were removed from the furnaces for subsequent restoration.
Currently, work is underway on the interiors. On the ground floor, specialists will have to recreate the main staircase and doors, restore and recreate the parquet and flooring from Metlakh tiles. On the second floor, restoration of stucco moldings, dolomite stairs, bay window, doors and ceiling cornices is planned. And on the third floor, the dolomite staircase will also be restored.
In addition, the external decoration of the monument will be recreated based on the surviving elements.
In 2018, emergency work took place here. The specialists arranged a temporary covering with galvanized profile sheets, installed telescopic racks, wooden beams to reinforce the emergency sections of the floors, and also closed the window and door openings with metal sheets.
House with a rich history
Brick two-three-storey building is located along the red line of Lyusinovskaya street. The exact date of the construction of the main house is unknown. Presumably it appeared in the late 18th – early 19th centuries. It is known that in 1793 the property belonged to the Moscow merchant Ivan Sundushnikov, and by 1809 it passed to the merchant, the maintainer of the congress of the Yakiman part, Yakov Chilikin. In the fire of 1812, the building was badly burned and for a long time was in an unsatisfactory condition. By 1831, the ownership passed to the Tula merchant D.O. Sushkin. He restored the burnt buildings and made new extensions. The facades were designed in the strict forms of late classicism.
In 1865, by order of the grandson D.O. Sushkin, merchant G.M. Sushkina, architectural assistant N.N. Vasiliev developed a project for rebuilding the main house. The building was expanded with annexes from the courtyard side. The street and side facades received a new look in the classicizing forms of historicism with elements of the neo-Renaissance. In contrast to the previous strict solution, the house acquired an elegant look thanks to the abundance of decor and the rustication of the plastered surfaces.
In 1887, by order of M.G. Sushkin, a two-story north-eastern wing of the main house was reconstructed. Designed by the architect S.K. Troparevsky, the height of the building was increased, and ceilings were installed inside at new elevations. At the same time, new window frames and frames were installed in the entire main house, stoves were sorted out, and instead of the old wooden staircase leading to the mezzanine, a stone one was arranged.
At the beginning of the 20th century, under the new owner A. In Kevorkove, the main house was renovated – most of the ground floor was converted for rent, the rest of the premises were occupied by the homeowner’s apartments. The courtyard facades of the building had metal umbrellas on cast-iron columns. In 1915, a sewer was installed in the house. After 1917, the possession of A.B. Kevorkov was nationalized. In 1918-1919, the former main house housed the Zamoskvoretsk military commissariat, later it was used as housing for employees of the People’s Commissariat for Military Affairs. To adapt to apartments, partitions were installed here and redevelopments were carried out, which resulted in the loss of many elements of interior design.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.