MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Users are invited to learn more about the houses and buildings in which Soviet marshals lived and military departments were located, as well as to see monuments to legendary commanders.
The Internet project “Walking with the Guardian Lion” has been supplemented with a new virtual excursion dedicated to the Defender of the Fatherland Day. Muscovites are invited to take a trip around the city in the company of the @levhranitel_bot chatbot, which operates on the Telegram platform. The project develops the capital Department of cultural heritage.
“Together with the virtual guide Guardian Lion, you can walk to memorable places that are associated with the legendary commanders and heroes of battles. On February 23, we propose to recall the exploits of the soldiers who participated in the Patriotic War of 1812, as well as in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945. The route is over eight kilometers long. The journey will take about two hours “, – said the head of the Department of Cultural Heritage of Moscow
To start an excursion, the user should launch a chat bot in Telegram and click on the Route to February 23rd button. Further, the screen will display photographs of objects (both archival and modern) and short informative references to each of them.
First, the virtual guide will offer to visit house 3 in Romanov lane. This is the former tenement house of Count Alexander Sheremetev, built in 1898. The ensemble of buildings was built in the eclectic style by the project of the architect Alexander Meissner. After the October Revolution, the building was nationalized and turned into the 5th House of Soviets. The apartments in it began to be rented to prominent party leaders and military leaders.
In different years, marshals of the Soviet Union Ivan Konev, Semyon Budyonny, Vasily Chuikov, Semyon Timoshenko and Kliment Voroshilov lived here. In memory of the legendary commanders, memorial plaques were installed on the house.
Further, tourists are invited to Znamenka Street, to house 12/2. This is the Gnessin Music School. In 1959, a monument to Mikhail Frunze, the commander of the Red Army during the Civil War, was erected in front of the school. The author of the monument is the famous sculptor-portraitist Zinovy Vilensky.
One of the buildings of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation is located not far from the monument to Mikhail Frunze at 19 Znamenka Street. The history of this house begins at the end of the 18th century, when General Stepan Apraksin bought out two neighboring plots on Znamenka and built a mansion. Since 1832, the Alexandrinsky Orphanage was located here, later transformed into the Alexandrovsky Military School. Infantry officers were trained within its walls. After the revolution, the building was occupied by the General Staff of the Red Army. In Soviet times, the complex was reconstructed according to the project of architects Mikhail Posokhin and Ashot Mndoyants.
Now in this building you can visit the memorial study-museum of Georgy Zhukov. It contains photographs, personal belongings, awards and uniforms of the Marshal of the Soviet Union. The exposure time should be specified at website exposition area.
And on Kutuzovsky Prospect, at 38, building 1, there is a panoramic museum “Battle of Borodino”. Its collection includes a panorama of the largest battle of the Patriotic War of 1812 – the Battle of Borodino, as well as paintings and sculptures dedicated to the war with Napoleon, uniforms of soldiers and officers, and ancient weapons. There is a monument to Mikhail Kutuzov next to the museum. The commander is depicted as a rider sitting on a horse. The statue is installed on a granite pedestal. The base of the pedestal is decorated with high reliefs depicting the heroes of the Patriotic War of 1812 – officers, soldiers and militias.
In the exposition of the panoramic museum “Battle of Borodino” you can see the so-called Kutuzovskaya hut. The wooden house was recreated in the likeness of the same hut in Fili, in which the military council headed by Kutuzov made a forced decision to give Moscow to the French without a fight. The hut itself burned down in 1868.
The excursion with the online guide of the Moscow City Heritage Site will end near the Arc de Triomphe, located on Kutuzovsky Prospekt. This is one of the capital’s most recognizable landmarks. The arch was built in 1829-1834 on Tverskaya Zastava Square in honor of the victory in the Russian-French war. The construction was carried out according to the project of the architect Osip Bove. In 1936, the Arc de Triomphe was dismantled, and in 1968 it was recreated on Kutuzovsky Prospekt. The virtual guide will share with the tour participants the memories of the restorer Dmitry Kulchinsky, who worked on the restoration of the arch.
The Guardian Lion will offer to visit other locations of the online guide prepared in honor of Defender of the Fatherland Day. You can see all the sights of the route by following the link @levhranitel_bot.
Department of cultural heritage of the city of Moscowis engaged in the protection, preservation and popularization of historical and cultural monuments of the peoples of Russia. The Guardian Lion is a sculptural figurine of a lion cub, the department’s mascot. He often visits old mansions and buildings where restoration is underway, visits excavations and places where they are engaged in archaeological monitoring, visits archaeologists and restorers in their laboratories and workshops.
The Internet project “Walking with the Guardian Lion” was launched in February this year. The first virtual tour was published in the eve of Valentine’s Day.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.