MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Read the mos.ru article on what made the Pig Breeding Pavilion famous and in which film the exhibition appears for the first time.
Multimedia center Soyuzmultpark opened at VDNKh in the former pavilion 7 “Seeds”. The three-story building, built in the 1970s, was overhauled this summer.
The exposition of the renovated pavilion includes 18 multimedia attractions based on the best domestic cartoons using digital technologies: 3D animation, virtual reality and others. Visitors here can not only have fun and play, but also learn the basics of animation.
It is noteworthy that VDNKh (and earlier – VSKhV) throughout its history has been closely associated with Russian cinema. Since the opening, the exhibition and its main symbols could be seen in many Soviet films, and film screenings were held in the pavilions and even a cinema museum was created. Read about iconic film venues at VDNKh in this mos.ru article.
Arch of the north entrance
On the territory of the new, just opened exhibition, more than one film was shot. For example, in the 1939 painting “Foundling” VSHV is captured in the first year of its work.
The plot is based on the adventures of five-year-old Natasha, who left home without asking for a walk around the capital. One of the director’s tasks was to show the renewed Moscow, and the recently opened All-Union Agricultural Exhibition became an ideal location for filming. In the frame you can see the sculpture “Worker and Collective Farm Woman”, the arch of the northern entrance and other objects that have become iconic.
By the way, the northern entrance to the exhibition was originally the central one. After the war, the main entrance was moved to the side of Prospekt Mira. Pavilion 75 was built in front of the northern entrance, as a result of which the arch lost its original function and, in fact, ceased to be an entrance. In 2016–2017, the facility was first restored. Due to the opening of a reserve hospital in pavilion No. 75 at VDNKh, the approach to the arch is temporarily limited.
Pig Breeding Pavilion
The 1941 film “The Pig and the Shepherd”, which was released after the start of the war, is a beautiful love story. Piggary Glasha (Marina Ladynina) from the Vologda region and Dagestan shepherd Musaib (Vladimir Zeldin) meet at the opening of an agricultural exhibition in Moscow and fall in love. But to be together, they will have to overcome many trials. After the release of the picture, the “Pig Breeding” pavilion enjoyed particular popularity, since it was there that the heroine of the film came.
In 1954, it was decided to rebuild a new brick building, equipped with the latest technology, designed by architects A.O. Kolesnichenko and G.G. Savinova. The current building has remained virtually unchanged since 1954, despite several renovations.
In 2016, after reconstruction, the pavilion opened “House of Crafts”: creative workshops for children and adults are held here, for example on art painting, making bouquets or the basics of studio lighting. There are also public workshops.
“Worker and Kolkhoz Woman”
The “Worker and Collective Farm Woman” monument first appeared in the Mosfilm intro in 1947 in the credits of Grigory Alexandrov’s painting “Spring”. Since 1948, the sculpture has become the official symbol of the Mosfilm film studio. In November 1950, under a special agreement with the management, the sculptor Vera Mukhina made a reduced plaster copy, which became the property of the studio, and it is this that is used in the headpiece.
In addition to the Mosfilm screensaver, the main symbol of the Soviet era is captured in many films of those years. For example, in the 1940 musical comedy The Light Path, the exhibition and the monument can be seen from a bird’s eye view. The main character of the film Tatiana Morozova (played by Lyubov Orlova) goes a long way from a housekeeper to a leading weaver. For her labor services, she was invited to Moscow, to the Kremlin, where she was awarded the Order of Lenin. In one of the most interesting scenes of the film, the heroine in her dreams flies in a car over Moscow, in particular, flies around the sculpture “Worker and Collective Farm Woman”, and lands on the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition.
And the 1945 film “Hello, Moscow” ends with a parade of athletes at the monument, which was then located near the entrance to the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition.
The story of The Worker and the Collective Farm Woman is also cinematic. For the first time, the monument was presented at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1937. The idea belonged to the architect Boris Iofan, and Vera Mukhina was able to bring it to life. However, the commission demanded that some changes be made to the project: the main requirement was to “dress” the figures, since initially the young man and the girl were naked in imitation of the ancient Greek prototype – the antique statue of Tyrannos. Their bodies were draped with folds of a decorative scarf, which was the connecting link of the whole composition and connected the sculpture with the pavilion. Mukhina was required to remove the scarf: real collective farmers rarely used this accessory. But the sculptor insisted on her own, saying that the element is necessary to keep the structure in balance.
In Paris, the sculpture made a splash. After the exhibition was over, the Soviet government received an offer to sell the Worker and Collective Farm Woman to France, but the monument returned to the USSR.
In the capital, it was erected by a friend, a much lower post in front of the northern entrance to VDNKh. Vera Mukhina has repeatedly objected to the unacceptably low height of the pedestal, which, in her opinion, distorts the sculpture and deprives it of the necessary space.
By 1998, the state of the monument was assessed as critical. However, the renovation work began only 10 years later. A pavilion was erected for the sculpture, in general terms repeating the original project of Boris Iofan in 1937. The grand opening of the renovated monument took place on December 4, 2009.
Since 2017, the new pavilion has become an exhibition pavilion. Moscow and regional museums present the best exhibits from their collections, lectures, master classes, seminars, concerts and other events are held there.
Circular cinema panorama (circular)
Pavilion No. 541 “Circular Kinopanorama” was built in 1959. It was erected in record time (three months) on the personal instructions of Nikita Khrushchev. It took exactly a month to design the building and equipment.
At that time, panoramic cinemas, even at the global level, were a technical novelty. The first such system in the world was Circarama, presented in 1955 by the Walt Disney Company and brought to the American National Exhibition in Moscow in 1959. This was the reason for the creation of a similar project in the USSR.
The entire building was occupied by a cinema hall. There were no seats in it: films were watched while standing. The audience had the opportunity to be in the center of the action: 11 screens were simultaneously working around them. For showing in this format, special pictures were shot.
Construction and installation work is currently underway at the site. It is planned that in the future there will be a 5D cinema with a lifting and turntable platform.
Pavilion No. 36 “Processing of Agricultural Products” (originally called “Water Management”) was built in 1954. October 20, 2017 opened here Film Museum… IN building there are three cinemas for showing films from the collection of the museum, exhibition areas are also equipped, auditoriums for lectures on the history and theory of cinema, there is a cafe and a brand store.
Over 180 thousand exhibits are kept in the funds of the Cinema Museum. These are costumes, photographs, playbills and posters, filmstrips, rare books, cinematographic and photographic equipment and personal belongings of Russian cinematographers, as well as archival photographs that capture the moments of filming of films created at VDNKh. The most important part of the collection is the cinematheque: the Cinema Museum is the owner of unique films.
The scientific and memorial study of Sergei Eisenstein has also become part of the museum: visitors can see the director’s personal belongings, his drawings and manuscripts. Films of the master are also shown here.
The Cinema Museum has a long history. The idea of preserving the works of cinema was proposed by a number of filmmakers back in the 1910s. However, the museum appeared only in 1989. Its opening coincides with the centenary of the birth of Charlie Chaplin, and the widow of the actor and director Lady Oona Chaplin, together with the Bubbles firm, donated a copy of the film The Great Dictator (1940) to the museum. His screening opened the big hall of the cinema center.
Summer cinema-lecture hall
The open-air cinema-lecture hall is open only during the warm season. The steps of the amphitheater-like hall can accommodate 288 guests. There are pillows and blankets for comfortable watching movies. In case of rainy weather, the cinema is equipped with a roof in the form of an awning.
The repertoire includes new releases, festival films, classic hits. It is planned that this summer there will be a cinema lecture hall.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.