MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
April 9, 2021, 07:05
The plaque, which again adorns the facade of house 14/2 on Pokrovka Street, is the fifth restored by the restorers. The first three took their historical places in the Tagansky district, the fourth was installed on the facade of a house on Pyatnitskaya Street.
On the facade of the former main house of the estate of T.F. Eminsky at the address: Pokrovka street, house 14/2, building 1, a restored Osoaviakhim plaque was installed.
The historical sign on the façade was lost several years ago under unknown circumstances. Residents of this house and municipal deputies of the Basmanny District have asked to return the plaque to the Moscow City Heritage Site.
Instead of the lost sign after restoration, a similar plaque was installed, which in the 1970s was dismantled from another house in Elizavetinsky Lane during its dismantling. She succeeded discover in a warehouse.
“The Osoaviakhim plaque, which we returned to the facade of the house on Pokrovka Street, has become the fifth in a row, restored together with the Association of Russian Restorers. The first three were restored back in 2018–2019 and took their historical places in the Tagansky district. Another one was recreated and installed on the facade of building 16 on Pyatnitskaya Street. It is important that the sign of Osoaviakhim was considered honorable, people really made an effort to get the right to place it on their home. This is a part of our history that must be preserved, ”commented the head of the Department of Cultural Heritage
He said that during the restoration, specialists carefully cleared the plate from numerous late layers of paint and plaster, then strengthened the plaster, made up for defects and minor losses in the molded decor (ears and letters), and at the end painted the surface of the emblem according to the found historical colors.
The social and political organization “Society for Assistance to Defense, Aviation and Chemical Construction” (Osoaviakhim) appeared in the USSR in January 1927 and existed for almost a quarter of a century – until 1948. From the first weeks of its formation, it aroused interest, especially among young people, and therefore in 1928 the presidium of the central council considered the issue of the emblem and badge of a member of the society. Until the end of the year, the development of the brand name was in progress, the adopted sketch was published in the press at the beginning of 1929. The artist and sculptor Georgy Alekseev became its author. The badge looked like a five-pointed red star, against the background of which there were a sickle, a hammer, a gear, a sheaf of ears, a propeller, a rifle and a gas mask – symbols of defense. At the bottom of the tape there is an inscription “Strengthening the defense of the USSR”.
They decided to place wall signs with the same symbolism on houses. They had to report that the residents of the house, including children over 12 years old, have passed the “Ready for PVHO” (air and chemical defense) standards of the first stage and that for every 100 residents of the house there is at least one marked with the “Ready for PVHO” icon the second stage, and one instructor for sealing dwellings to protect against toxic substances.
There were three types of plates: small (22.5 by 22.5 centimeters), medium (50 by 50 centimeters), and large (100 by 100 centimeters). The size of the board was determined by the number of members of the Osoaviakhim in each particular house. The buildings that housed a gas shelter and an observation tower could deserve the greatest, there were no fire-hazardous corridors, basements, attics and whose residents regularly successfully conducted exercises.
The society introduced citizens (especially of pre-conscription age) to the basics of military affairs, taught them how to use weapons, drive vehicles and keep themselves in proper physical shape. In circles, lecture halls, flying clubs, shooting galleries and other strong points of the organization, people received the specialties of orderlies, telephone operators, telegraph operators, radio operators, drivers, parachutists and pilots.
Osoaviakhim’s successor was the public-state organization “Voluntary Society for Assistance to the Army, Aviation and Navy” – DOSAAF of the USSR. Now in Russia, the Ministry of the Russian Federation for Civil Defense, Emergencies and Elimination of the Consequences of Natural Disasters deals with issues of military-defense work and training of the population within the framework of civil defense.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.