MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
23 April 2021, 07:02
The restoration of images of evangelists and saints venerated in Orthodoxy has been completed on the facade of the Church of the Resurrection of the Word at the Uspensky Vrazhka. The painting on the walls of the church is almost 170 years old.
The complex restoration of oil painting on the facade of the Church of the Resurrection Slovuschey on Uspensky Vrazhka (Bryusov Lane, 15/2, building 3) has been completed. This is a 17th century posad church, a recognized architectural monument and an object of cultural heritage of federal significance. The walls of its facade are decorated with picturesque images of the apostles-evangelists Mark, Matthew, Luke and John, as well as saints revered in Orthodoxy, including Justin the Philosopher, Nicholas the Wonderworker, the prophet Elisha and the prophet Elijah.
The beginning of the work was preceded by chemical-technological, historical-archival and field research. Already at this stage, the restorers managed to reveal the fragments of the painting, which had been painted over for many years. A total of 14 images are in zakomars – decorative semicircular vaults on the facades.
“The restorers have completed the restoration of the monumental painting on the facade of the Church of the Resurrection of the Word at the Uspensky Vrazhka. In the course of restoration work, specialists strengthened the paint layer and plaster base, removed oil records, made up for the loss of soil, and tinted the painting. Now all the forests have been removed, and residents can admire the historical paintings. The next stage will be the restoration of interiors “, – said the head of the Department of Cultural Heritage of the city of Moscow
In addition, the specialists reinforced the brick walls, reinforced the roof structure and replaced its covering. They also restored the white-stone basement of the church, restored the door and window frames, put in order the white-stone decoration and renewed the gilding on the crosses, made architectural lighting and installed a drainage system. It remains only to paint the roof.
Among the murals there is a very rare image of St. Justin the Philosopher. Its appearance on the wall of the Resurrection Church is associated with the spiritual heritage of the neighboring Church of the Prophet Elisha, dismantled in the period from 1850 to 1865. The throne of Justin the Philosopher that existed in it was transferred to the Church of the Resurrection of the Word, but in the late 1860s – early 1870s it was abolished. And now a fresco on one of the zakomaras serves as a reminder of this historical fact.
The painting of the Resurrection Church also turned out to be associated with the name of the icon-painter Dmitry Korin, the father of the famous artist Pavel Korin. The images of the four apostles-evangelists are copies of the sketches signed by him, kept in the funds of the State Museum of Palekh Art.
As a result of removing layers of oil paint on the pediments of the refectory part of the temple, the composition “The Prophet Elisha with the fiery ascent of the Prophet Elijah” was opened. And on the northern pediment it was possible to reveal the image “Nicholas the Wonderworker saves the Patriarch from drowning.” These murals date back to the middle of the 19th century. They were painted over for unknown reasons. The works are distinguished by their multicolor, and the manner of their execution is close to interior painting.
The wooden church of the Resurrection of the Word on the Uspensky Vrazhka was first marked on the plan of Moscow in 1596-1598. The next mention of him is found in the chronicle of 1624. It is known that in 1629, during the great Moscow fire, the temple, along with all the houses and buildings in the center of Moscow, burned down to the ground. At the same time, the construction of a stone one began on the site of the wooden church. In 1816-1820, the refectory and the bell tower were rebuilt.
In the second half of the 19th century, the round upper tier of the bell tower decayed and was replaced by a new tier in the eclectic style.
Oil painting of the first half of the 19th century has been preserved in the church to this day. Here is one of the famous Moscow shrines – the icon of the Mother of God “Seeking the Lost” from the destroyed in 1936 the Church of the Nativity of Christ in Palashi.
Photos provided by the press service of the Department of Cultural Heritage of the city of Moscow
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.