MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
During a lesson in the radio editing workshop of the Moscow Military Mechanical College. Photo by D. Stepanov. 1948-1949 years. Main Archive of Moscow
In the spring of 1945, the Moscow City Council adopted a decision aimed at creating a modern technical base in the city for the development of radio broadcasting.
After the difficult war years in the USSR, a massive restoration of various sectors of the urban economy began. In particular, in 1945, steps were taken to modernize radio broadcasting in Moscow as a means of organizing the leisure of the townspeople, said in the capital Glavarchiv…
The period from the beginning of the development of radio in the Soviet Union to the end of the war was a quarter of a century, and Moscow was able to achieve great success in this area. More than 500 thousand radio broadcasting installations operated in the city, and the total length of radio broadcasting networks was about five thousand kilometers. However, at the beginning of 1941, the pace of radio development lagged significantly behind foreign ones. It was then that the decision was made to improve the system, but the implementation of the project had to be postponed due to the outbreak of the war.
They returned to the issue of radio development in 1944. Then there were already two radio stations in the capital, which took over the service of up to 70 thousand subscribers. The work continued in the spring of 1945, when the Moscow City Council made a decision aimed at creating a modern technical base in the city for the development of radio broadcasting. It also required an upgrade of communications, since about 90 percent of the equipment used was badly worn out and outdated. This hindered the development of radio broadcasting, the audience did not grow either, the capacity was not always enough even for high-quality service of already connected subscribers. A large number of metropolitan radio stations were overloaded more than twice; every day, on average, up to 400 complaints from residents about the quality of communication, poor audibility and interruptions in broadcasts were received. There were power outages at the radio substations, due to which residents of the areas where this happened were left completely without radio broadcasting.
In pursuance of the 1945 decision of the Moscow City Council, six transformer substations were built in the capital, which ensured an uninterrupted supply of electricity. Thanks to this, the number of radio subscribers in Moscow has grown by 50 thousand, the quality of the radio signal has also significantly increased, audibility has improved, and frequent interruptions have stopped. In addition, for the convenience of the residents of the capital, three new radio repair shops were opened. The number of outdoor loudspeakers has also increased: 150 devices have been installed in public places. Also, 500 kilometers of radio transmission lines were repaired.
The city not only commissioned new radio substations, but also refurbished almost half of the existing ones, which had a positive effect on the quality of radio broadcasting. Of the 82 radio substations that were in operation by March 1, 1945, 40 had been modernized by the end of the year. Thanks to technical re-equipment, radio broadcasting in 1945 became two-programmed, and already in 1947 – three-programmed. Radio has become an important component of Muscovites’ leisure time.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.