MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Photo by Y. Ivanko. Mos.ru
The two-story chambers were built at the turn of the 16th – 17th centuries and belonged to a well-known Moscow merchant family. In the 18th century they were rebuilt and decorated in the Moscow Baroque style.
The Moscow City Heritage Committee approved the subject of protection for the chambers of the merchant Sverchkov. A two-story red brick building on a white-stone vaulted basement was erected at the turn of the 16th-17th centuries. This is one of the surviving monuments of pre-Petrine secular architecture. The building is located at: Sverchkov Lane, Building 8, Building 3. Its facades are decorated in the Moscow Baroque style. Experts note that the design of the facades appeared during the reconstruction of the chambers in 1680.
“The chambers in Sverchkov Lane are a unique monument of pre-Petrine civil architecture. Only a few chambers from the turn of the 16th-17th centuries have survived in Moscow. After conducting research, experts included in the subject of protection the valuable elements of facades and interiors, which form the historical appearance of the chambers. In addition to architecture, the history of the house is also interesting. For example, in the second half of the 18th century, the Sverchkov chambers were sold for a craft school and Kamenny Prikaz. This department monitored the implementation of the “State Development Plan for Moscow,” “- said the head of the capital
Initially, the building belonged to the merchant Sverchkov, who lived there with his three sons. The house had a large pond and gardens (they have not survived to this day), and behind them was the Assumption Church, built at the expense of the merchant, overlooking Pokrovka Street. It was destroyed in the 1930s.
In 1680, the appearance of the merchants’ chambers changed dramatically. Their area was tripled by a two-story brick extension. The author of the project is unknown. The facades of the house were decorated in the Moscow Baroque style. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the chambers were privately owned. They were rebuilt several times, but the design of the facades in the Moscow Baroque style and the layout of the house have been preserved.
The rows of windows are decorated with keeled platbands. On the walls of the building, you can see paired semi-columns, as well as cornices and flies (a square or rectangular depression in the wall, decorated with a multi-stage frame). These and other architectural elements were included in the subject of protection.
Interior details dating from the 17th – 19th centuries were also recognized as valuable. Among them is a 19th century tiled stove, as well as the stucco decoration of the rooms. These are pilasters, panels, molded ceiling cornices and rosettes, wide door frames with molded dessudeports (decorative composition located above the door), mascarons.
In the 1970s, the building underwent a comprehensive restoration. Today it houses the State Russian House of Folk Art named after V.D. Polenov.
The Sverchkov Chambers are a federal cultural heritage site. The building is under state protection. Any restoration work in it can only be carried out taking into account the approved subject of protection according to the project approved by the Moscow City Heritage Site and under the supervision of the department’s specialists.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.