Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

Several streets and squares in the center, in the west and south of the capital received new names.

Five unnamed streets, squares and numbered projected driveways received their names. The resolution on this issue was signed by Sergei Sobyanin

So, in memory of the footballer Eduard Anatolyevich Streltsov (1937-1990) and the footballer and coach Viktor Aleksandrovich Maslov (1910-1977), the projected driveways No. 1266 and 1267, located not far from the Torpedo stadium in the Danilovsky district, were named Eduard Streltsov street and Viktor Maslov street.

In 1997, the stadium on Vostochnaya Street was named after Eduard Streltsov, and in 1999 a monument to the football player was erected at the entrance. It is planned to complete the reconstruction here in 2023. The stands of the renovated stadium will be able to accommodate up to 15 thousand people.

Eduard Streltsov played for the Torpedo football club from 1954 to 1958 and from 1965 to 1970, won the championship (in 1965) and the USSR Cup (in 1968). He was repeatedly recognized as the best football player in the country. Streltsov played 38 matches for the national team, scored 25 goals, and also became the 1956 Olympic champion.

Viktor Maslov, as a footballer, played for Torpedo from 1931 to the early 1940s, and was the team captain. Since 1945, he continued his career at his home club as a coach. Under his leadership, in 1960, the Torpedo club won the national championship and became the owner of the USSR Cup.

In memory of the great composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840–1893), the square located along the Garden Ring between Povarskaya and Bolshaya Nikitskaya streets in the Presnensky District was named Tchaikovsky Square. In the immediate vicinity there is a cultural center named after P.I. Tchaikovsky.

The projected passage No. 636, located in the Novo-Peredelkino area, is now called Barkhatny Lane. Earlier, on the territory of Novo-Peredelkin, there was the village of Orlovo (or, according to other sources, Orlovets), where in 1825 the carpet factory of the merchant Epaneshnikov began to work. In the 1830s, “velvet carpets made of Shpansky and Russian wool” were produced here.

In memory of the outstanding ballerina Galina Sergeevna Ulanova (1909-1998), the square located in front of the Illusion cinema near the intersection of Yauzskaya and Nikoloyamskaya streets and Bolshoy Vatin lane in Tagansky district was named Galina Ulanova square. The famous ballerina lived in a house at the address: Kotelnicheskaya embankment, building 1/15.

In the Ramenki area, it was decided to extend Ramensky Boulevard at the expense of the projected passages No. 1196 and 6095. In connection with the construction of a new road and a change in the transport system, the routing of Mustai Karim Street in the Danilovsky District has been adjusted. It will include Projected Passage No. 7026, Section of Projected Passage No. 4965 (from Projected Passage No. 7026 to Projected Passage No. 1221) and a section of Projected Passage No. 1221 (from Projected Passage No. 4965 to Projected Passage No. 7028).

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News