MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
A new excursion “Our armored train” was held at the Central Museum of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation. For the first time, the guests of the museum were able to inspect the inside of the only genuine armored train BP-43 in Russia.
The armored train BP-43 – a participant in the Great Patriotic War, was installed on the observation deck of the Central Military District of the Russian Federation in 1965, when the museum was opening in a new building.
The armored train BP-43 consists of an armored locomotive and armored platforms. The steam locomotive of the OV series No. 5067 was built by the workers of the Kolomna plant in 1896. In 1917, the Red Guards – railroad workers in the Kizil-Arvat workshops of the Central Asian Railway dressed the steam locomotive with armor, and installed 76-mm cannons and 7.62-mm Maxim machine guns on armored platforms.
During the Great Patriotic War, from its first days, the armored train took an active part in the battles on the Southern Front. Damaged in 1942, he was sent to the Moscow-Kurskaya depot for repairs and re-equipment. A 76-mm tank gun was installed on the front platform, two Degtyarev machine guns were added to the four Maxim machine guns, the locomotive tender was equipped with a conning tower with a 12.7-mm DShK anti-aircraft machine gun, and two 37-mm anti-aircraft guns were installed on the second platform.
Armored trains of the BP-43 type in 1943-45. took part in the war with Germany and its allies on almost all western fronts – from Stalingrad and the Kursk Bulge, the North Caucasus, Belarus and Ukraine to Romania and Poland. At the final stage of World War II, three armored trains were transferred to the Far East, where in August-September 1945 they took part in the war with militarist Japan.
1 2 3 4 5
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.