Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

Experts cleaned the monuments from pollution and recreated the lost elements.

Experts have completed the restoration of six artistic gravestones at the Vvedenskoye cemetery. These are the graves of Alexander Schmidt, Ivan Sytin, Boris Shvetsov, Sergei Shambinago, Heinrich von Dickhoff and Karl Heinrich Wilhelm von Dickhoff.

 

“Vvedenskoye, also known as German, cemetery is one of the most interesting necropolises in the capital, founded several centuries ago. Here you can find many tombstones of famous historical figures, in addition, some monuments were erected by prominent architects, including Fyodor Shekhtel. Under the supervision of our department, six tombstones with the status of objects of cultural heritage were restored. The works included the recreation of the lost details. This made it possible to return the original look to the tombstones, ”said the head of the capital

Department of Cultural Heritage Alexey Emelyanov

The restorers put in order all the foundations and foundations of the monuments, removed cracks and chips, cleaned the surfaces of dirt, strengthened the gravestones, gilded memorial inscriptions, and renewed marble bas-reliefs. The missing elements were also recreated, among them crosses and calvary (part of a tombstone in the form of a block, crowned with a cross).

Cemetery with history

Vvedenskoe cemetery was founded in 1771 during the plague epidemic. It is located in Lefortovo on the Vvedenskie Gory upland on the left bank of the Yauza. From the north, the mountains were limited by the valley of the Khapilovka River, at its confluence with the Yauza was the village of Vvedenskoye. In the south, the Lefortovo brook flowed (the Sinichka river, which now flows underground in a pipe), on its right bank a cemetery with an area of ​​about 20 hectares was laid. The northern and southern gates are connected by a main alley, from which transverse and longitudinal pathways diverge in different directions – they divide the territory into 30 sections. In the 18th-19th centuries, the necropolis was called German, because most often Catholics and Lutherans were buried here, and among the people they were simply called Germans.

Many monuments and gravestones in the cemetery were created by famous sculptors and architects. For example, according to the project of Fyodor Shekhtel, the tombstone of E.F. Zhegina (1893), the mausoleum of the Erlangers flour-milling breeders (1911) and the Ferrein mausoleum (1900s).

Many outstanding people are buried at the Vvedenskoye cemetery, including 54 heroes of the Soviet Union, 27 heroes of Socialist Labor, 90 revolutionaries and old Bolsheviks, more than 770 scientists, about 300 artists, composers and conductors, 95 writers, more than 80 artists, sculptors and architects, almost 200 honored doctors, teachers, builders, honored cultural workers, honored masters of sports, priests.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News