MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
A manor house and a tenement house, a hostel and offices – we tell about the historical stages of the restored manor house existence.
Lyalin lane in Basmanny district is one of those streets where almost every house has cultural and historical value. The lane was once called Pritykina Street, apparently after the name of one of the homeowners, as was customary in Moscow in the 17th-19th centuries. Then, due to the proximity to the church of James the Apostle, it became Yakovlevsky Lane. It got its current name in the 18th century. It is associated with the name of the captain Lyalin, who had a house with a plot here.
Despite the fact that the length of the street is only 600 meters, almost the entire Lyalin Lane is one continuous story. The houses located here were built by such famous architects as Alexander Nikiforov, Pavel Zarutsky, Claudius Rosenkampf, Adolf Netyksa, Adolf Erichson.
House 10/14, building 1, known as the estate of S.G. Popov and P.D. Elagin, was built by an architect whose name has not come down to us. Nevertheless, the building is one of the classic examples of the late Moscow Empire style.
The history of the building
The history of the estate begins at the beginning of the 19th century, when this place was occupied by two plots with chaotic wooden buildings with central courtyard spaces. The fire of 1812 destroyed them, after which the property was merged into one.
In 1833, a Moscow merchant Popov submitted a petition for the construction of a mansion to the Moscow Construction Commission. Presumably, the construction was completed in 1838, when a two-story brick mansion with a mezzanine was erected on the site of the former corner wooden house.
The mansion was made in the style of the late Empire. It is characterized by its location, shape, size, decoration of window and doorways, a six-pillar portico, an attic, a profiled rod and white-stone interfloor and crowning cornices.
In the second half of the century before last, the building, like many estates of that time, was adapted for profitable housing. In 1882, when the owner changed, the first renovation was carried out – the window frames and doors were replaced. In 1911, small outbuildings along the inner border were demolished and stone buildings were built – a barn and a laundry.
After the revolution, the building passed to the housing association of house 12 in Barashevsky lane. Almost all buildings on the site, including a gatehouse and a stone barn, were given over for housing.
The third floor appeared in 1926, when the house was transferred to the Joint Stock Company for the production of trade in haberdashery and knitted goods, the former partnership “A. Maslov “.
Since the 1930s, the mansion has housed communal apartments; in the 1970s, it was rebuilt as a government institution. After the collapse of the USSR, various offices were housed in the former estate.
New life of an old manor
The main house of the estate was gradually losing the architectural decoration of the facades and was dilapidated inside. Capitals and stucco decoration disappeared, walls cracked, plaster crumbled, window frames cracked. Nevertheless, paneled doors, painted ceilings, tiled stoves and parquet have survived to this day.
Until 2019, only cosmetic repairs were carried out in the building – replacing the roof and strengthening the supporting structures.
The investor was tasked with restoring the original appearance of the monument with the interiors of the ceremonial halls and magnificent stucco decoration, as well as the historical fence along Barashevsky Lane.
Specialists performed work to strengthen the main load-bearing and enclosing structures, restored facades, stairs, white-stone basement, crown and interfloor cornices, arched window frames, smooth plaster. They also recreated the lost Ionic capitals of pilasters, bas-reliefs, stove chimneys with a metal opening, external window and door blocks.
In addition, the craftsmen restored the architectural and decorative elements of the interiors: ceiling molded cornices, stoves, parquet floors, front door blocks. They also managed to recreate the lost fireplace.
The work of the restorers made it possible to completely restore the historical appearance of the monument, which was initially distorted by numerous repairs and redevelopments.
Large-scale restoration of architectural monuments in the capital continues. Since 2011, more than 1,600 cultural heritage sites have been restored in the city, of which more than 100 – in 2020. This year it is planned to put in order another 100 objects.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.