MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Summer cafe on the territory of the M. Gorky Central Park of Culture and Rest. 1930s. Photo by B. Ignatovich. Main Archive of Moscow
Most of the establishments worked in the Gorky Central Park of Culture and Leisure.
The 30s of the XX century were the heyday of cafes and restaurants in the walking areas of Moscow. They told about what they were in Glavarchiv…
Especially many similar establishments worked in the Gorky Central Park of Culture and Leisure. This was due to the fact that the opening of the park in 1928 coincided with a period when the authorities paid much attention to public catering of Muscovites. Walkers were fed in canteens, cafes, buffets and pavilions.
One of the favorite places among visitors was the Hexagon restaurant, which was located on the territory of the former Machine Building pavilion. By the end of the 1930s, breakfasts, lunches and dinners were regularly organized here for “extras” – excursion groups of workers or students. And for individual recreation, the restaurant specially issued a card “Day of Rest in Central Park”, which gave the right to three meals a day at the “Hexagon”, as well as to visit almost any attractions, concerts and other events.
In addition to the “Hexagon”, there were restaurants “Poplavok” and “Zolotaya Rybka” in the park, a restaurant of Caucasian cuisine “Alozani” and a barbecue on the Alley of Pioneers. On the embankment one could go to the “Barge-Restaurant”, visit the “Bar” by the pond in the Pionersky Garden, or restaurant No. 1 on the Lenin Hills.
According to the menu, visitors were served “wonderful varieties of ice cream” and dairy products. Snack buffets operated in park theaters and movie theaters, at the marina and near attractions. And in the pavilions from 12:00 to 23:00 lemonade, fruits, cakes, sweets and other sweets were sold. In addition, kiosks, trays and carts were located throughout the park, where they sold baked goods, sandwiches, pies, ice cream, mineral water and soft drinks.
Catering establishments were also in Sokolniki. By 1938, along with numerous buffets and kiosks, a restaurant and a canteen, a dairy pavilion, a children’s canteen in the Town of a Pioneer and a Schoolchild, and the Samovarnik tea house on Sand Alley worked in the park.
In Izmailovsky Park, in addition to traditional bars, buffets and pavilions selling water, juices and ice cream, one could go to the dining room on the Central Prosek, to the main restaurant near the tent circus on the Big Circle, to a children’s restaurant or to a bar-cafe.
Also catering establishments were waiting for visitors in Ostankino and Krasnopresnensky Park of Culture and Rest.
At the end of the 1930s, 61 catering establishments belonged to the Moscow Restaurant Trust. This included dumplings and a vending machine on the Old Square, food factories and diet canteens.
Especially for the development of the industry, even a state system of personnel training was organized. By the end of the 1930s, the Institute of Public Catering Engineers, the Public Catering Technical School and various culinary schools operated in the capital.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.