Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

In St. Petersburg in the branch of the Central Naval Museum on the cruiser “Aurora” opened a multimedia exhibition “Invincible City”, dedicated to the defense of Odessa, which began on August 5, 1941.

The heroic defense of Odessa from the Nazi invaders began 80 years ago. Historians call it one of the most successful operations of the Soviet troops at the initial stage of the Great Patriotic War. Despite the fact that the group of the Nazis and their allies outnumbered the Soviet troops holding Odessa by several times, the enemy suffered enormous damage.

When the retention of the city was considered unreasonable from a military point of view, and a significant part of its inhabitants were evacuated to the rear, Soviet troops withdrew in an organized manner by sea to the Crimea, where they played an important role in the defense of Sevastopol.

According to historians, the defenders of Odessa for two and a half months fettered several hundred thousand enemy servicemen, thereby reducing the overall pace of the offensive of the Nazi forces in the southern direction.

On August 5, 1941, the Soviet Headquarters of the Supreme High Command issued a directive ordering not to surrender Odessa to the advancing Nazi troops and to defend it “to the last resort.” From this date, historians count the beginning of the operation to defend Odessa during the Great Patriotic War. It lasted 73 days and made it possible to pin down hundreds of thousands of enemy servicemen in the area of ​​the city, who were distracted from advancing in the direction of the Crimea and the Caucasus.

On August 10, having a five-fold superiority in forces (12 divisions and 7 brigades), the 4th Romanian army went on the offensive along the entire front and on August 13 completely blockaded Odessa.

The defenders of Odessa for more than two months chained up to 18 divisions near the city walls, disabled more than 160 thousand enemy soldiers and officers, up to 200 aircraft and 100 tanks.

By the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR dated December 22, 1942, the medal “For the Defense of Odessa” was established. On May 1, 1945, Odessa was named “Hero City”, and in 1965 she was awarded the Order of Lenin and the Gold Star medal.

1 2 3 4 5

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News