MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
September 3, 2021, 07:02
Photo by M. Denisov. Mos.ru
The mansion of O.P. Korobkova is located on Pyatnitskaya street. The history of the building goes back one and a half centuries. Its reconstruction in 1894 was carried out by the famous architect Lev Kekushev. For its time, the building was innovative and striking.
The Department of Cultural Heritage of the city of Moscow approved the subject of protection of the mansion of O.P. Korobkova. The building located at the address: Pyatnitskaya street, house 33–35, building 1, has the status of a cultural heritage site of federal significance. The mansion is an example of the eclectic architectural style with pronounced baroque motives. The subject of protection is a document that lists all the characteristics of the historical appearance of a building, elements of architectural and cultural value. They must be preserved. Any restoration work can only be carried out taking into account the approved subject of protection according to the project approved by the Moscow City Heritage Site and under the supervision of the department’s specialists.
“Korobkova’s mansion is a real decoration of Pyatnitskaya Street, and of the whole Zamoskvorechye. The house immediately attracts attention with a purple color, unusual for buildings of the 19th century. This is exactly the shade that was originally on the walls of this building. It was found by experts when in 2013 they carried out research prior to restoration. I had to remove 10 layers of paint while clearing the facade to find the original. It is a “chameleon” color that changes from lilac to lilac depending on the weather and lighting. To develop the subject of protection, the monument and archival materials were carefully studied. The experts listed all the important elements of the building. These data formed the basis of the subject of protection “, – said the head
The subject of protection included the town planning characteristics of the building, its appearance (asymmetric silhouette, bay window, corner decorative tower with a figured roof and lattice), all structures, original materials and elevation marks of the roof level.
The list includes a compositional solution and architectural and artistic design of facades, including their lilac color, stucco and sculptural decor, columns, pilasters, rods, interfloor and crowning cornices, window frames, sandriks (architectural elements, horizontal shelves above the window or door frame opening), rustication (masonry of large stones, hewn in the form of tetrahedral pyramids, forming a play of light and shade on the facade of the building).
The planning and decoration of the mansion’s interiors, the front stone staircase with a forged metal fence and a wooden handrail, a stone service staircase with a wooden handrail, wooden window frames and doors were considered valuable.
Specialists emphasized the elements of the decor of the premises: a wooden vestibule of the main entrance, a built-in wardrobe, ceiling stucco molding, padugs and drawn cornices, stucco rosettes, rustication and plastering of walls under panels, wooden wall panels, stained-glass windows, door portals, wooden coffered ceiling of the dining room, parquet and floor from metlakh tiles, marble fireplace with mirror, chandeliers and much more.
An asymmetrical mansion with a corner tower and a scaly domed roof was built in 1866. And 30 years later, the famous architect Lev Kekushev rebuilt it for the merchant Trifon Ivanovich Korobkov and his wife Olga Petrovna (the mansion passed to her after the death of her husband). The facades were renewed in the house, a large corner hall with access to the winter garden, as well as a service wing and a fence appeared.
Five years later, the house was rebuilt again. The work was supervised by Lev Kekushev’s longtime co-author, Sergei Shutsman. Therefore, the decoration of the facades and all of Kekushev’s ideas were preserved.
The merchant Trifon Korobkov owned his own paper production and was a representative of the financial and stock exchange circles in Moscow. He and his wife raised two children: son Sergei and daughter Olga.
Korobkov was a fan of art and imitated the patrons of art Pavel Tretyakov, Savva Morozov, Savva Mamontov. He was interested in painting, theater, literature, hosted famous artists and writers. For example, the portrait of Olga Petrovna, the owner of the house, was painted by the artist Alexander Gerasimov. Vladimir Gilyarovsky introduced him to the Korobkov family.
The portrait was commissioned, it was highly valued and almost never exhibited. Gerasimov also painted two paintings in the Korobkovs’ country estate, where he often stayed in the summer – “Korobkovo Estate” and “Forest Path”. Now all three paintings are exhibited in the house-museum of A.M. Gerasimov.
The merchant’s children were also interested in art: the son was engaged in painting, and the daughter was fond of theater.
In 1935-1936, President of the USSR Academy of Sciences Alexander Karpinsky spent the last years of his life in a mansion on Pyatnitskaya, and from 1936 to 1945 his successor, Academician Vladimir Komarov, lived there.
During the restoration in 2013–2015, the mansion was returned to its historical decoration in lilac color. The bay window of the second floor with a dome and roof was renewed, the sculptural and stucco decoration of the facade was restored. The main hall also acquired its original appearance – the marble staircase was restored and its railings were gilded, as well as the stucco ceiling and wall panels.
The object was recognized as a laureate of the Moscow Government competition for the best project in the field of preservation and popularization of cultural heritage sites “Moscow restoration – 2015”.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.