MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Today the command of the Airborne Forces celebrates its 80th anniversary.
On the occasion of the significant date, a festive liturgy was held in the main church of the Airborne Forces – the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos in Sokolniki with the participation of the Commander of the Airborne Forces, Colonel-General Andrei Serdyukov, deputy commanders of the Airborne Forces and officers of the command of the troops.
The festive liturgy was served by the priest of the Church of the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos, Archpriest Vasily (Gelevan).
Until 1938, the leadership of the Airborne Forces was carried out by the headquarters of the Air Force of the Red Army.
On September 4, 1941, the Main Directorate of the Airborne Forces of the Red Army was created in Moscow with a headquarters, an inspection, a communications center and an aviation squadron.
In October 1941, due to the difficult situation on the fronts, the headquarters, the Military Council and the Main Directorate of the Airborne Forces were temporarily relocated to Kuibyshev (now Samara), and the inspection to Engels. The operational group of the Main Directorate of the Airborne Forces remained in Moscow.
During the Great Patriotic War, the Main Directorate of the Airborne Forces became the administration of the formed separate Guards Airborne Army, which in 1944 was reorganized into the 9th Guards Army.
In 1946, the Airborne Forces were withdrawn from the Air Force, and the command of the 9th Guards Army was reorganized into the Directorate of the Airborne Forces, which existed in this status until 1953, when it was reorganized into the Directorate of the Commander of the Airborne Forces.
In 1998, the Office of the Commander of the Airborne Forces was reorganized into the command of the Airborne Forces.
1 2 3 4 5
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.