Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

September 6, 2021, 07:05

Share this

Photo by M. Denisov. Mos.ru

The so-called house with mezzanines, located at Staraya Basmannaya street, 15, building 3, has a rich history. In the 18th century, it was part of the city’s noble estate, and at the beginning of the 20th century, it was bought by the Persian cotton merchant Aminezarba.

The facades of an old house with mezzanines in the Basmanny District will be put in order. They have been in need of restoration over the past years. The house is a cultural monument of federal significance. Therefore, all work will take place under the supervision of the Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage. The department has already agreed on a restoration project.

“The historical facades were unique, their decoration has always attracted the attention of the townspeople. However, time did not spare the appearance of the monument, now it needs restoration. Cracks are visible on the walls, plaster is deformed, there are chips, wet areas, defects and potholes. The restorers will pay special attention to the reconstruction of the stucco decoration, the facades will return the historical look of the second half of the 19th century, “the chapter commented.

Department of Cultural Heritage Alexey Emelyanov.

According to him, the specialists will have to eliminate all defects, patch up cracks and chips, restore with the help of original materials and cover all surfaces with protective compounds. During the development of the restoration project, historical and cultural research was carried out. They helped to establish what certain elements were originally. For example, the main entrance will be restored, in addition, the previously laid auxiliary entrance to the building will be opened. The porch, stairs and roof will also be repaired, new wooden window frames and doors will be installed, engineering systems will be repaired and partially replaced, and waterproofing will be updated. In some rooms, the flooring will be changed and the walls will be tidied up.

The house with mezzanines on Staraya Basmannaya Street has been known since the 18th century. At first it belonged to the merchant of the first guild, Ivan Rybinsky. And then he sold it to Prince Peter Golitsyn and his son Mikhail. Then the house became part of the city noble estate.

The two-storey stone building, after a slight reconstruction, together with the ensemble of the Golitsyn estate, was included in the series “Architectural Albums” by Matvey Kazakov. Drawings of the best buildings in Moscow were collected there.

Later, the estate changed owners several times. In 1901, it was acquired by the Persian citizen Aji-Mamed Usein agha Aminezarba. In 1902, according to the project of the architect Vasily Shaub, a five-storey apartment building was built close to the house with a mezzanine.

Aminezarba traded in cotton, oil and silk, but decided to expand his business in Moscow and build a tenement house with warehouses. He rented apartments in his houses, used part of the storage space himself, and gave part to rent.

In 1917, the house was redeveloped. In Soviet times, it was used as a communal housing, and in the 1960s it was adapted for office space.

In 1968, the magazine “Science and Life” published an article about the development of Staraya Basmannaya Street (at that time – Karl Marx Street), in which a residential building with a mezzanine was named the traveling palace of Vasily III. It was dated to the 16th century, and the superstructure was dated to the 17th. Despite the lack of documentary confirmation of this hypothesis, until now, in different sources, the building is called that way.

In 1986, the building was transferred to the Ministry of Education of the RSFSR to accommodate the teaching and methodological office of higher and secondary pedagogical education. In the same year, the development of a project for the restoration and adaptation of the monument to new functions was started. The work began in 1991, but very soon, due to lack of funding, the restoration was stopped. The building has not been used for 10 years. The restoration was carried out only in the early 2000s.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News