MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
The floating dock “Sviyaga”, transporting from the Northern Fleet to St. Petersburg, the first Soviet nuclear submarine – K-3 “Leninsky Komsomol” arrived in Lake Onega after passing through the locks of the White Sea-Baltic Canal. This was reported to the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Nikolai Evmenov, at a working meeting in the Admiralty.
After replenishing the stocks of tugs involved in the crossing, the movement will continue. All technical facilities of the Sviyaga floating dock are operating normally. When passing through lock No. 1 of the White Sea-Baltic Canal, the submarine K-3 was greeted from the shore by a veteran submariner, captain 1st rank, retired Valery Eremeev, who served on submarines of the first and second generation at the base of Zapadnaya Litsa. The submariner lives in close proximity to the canal sluice.
It is planned that in the second decade of September the dock with a submarine will arrive in St. Petersburg at the Severnaya Verf. There the submarine will be withdrawn from the floating dock for subsequent towing to Kronstadt, where it will become a museum.
The Leninsky Komsomol is the first Soviet and the third nuclear submarine in the world. It was laid down on September 24, 1955 in Severodvinsk, launched on August 9, 1957. This submarine is 63 years old. In 1961, she left for her first combat service in the Atlantic. A year later, she made the first ever passage under the ice of the Arctic Ocean.
In 1991, the boat was withdrawn from the Northern Fleet. In 2005, K-3 was delivered to the water area of the Nerpa shipyard (a branch of the Zvezdochka Shipyard). In 2010, the commander-in-chief of the Navy decided not to dispose of the K-3, but to preserve it for history.
1 2 3 4 5
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.