MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
September 11, 2021 11:02 am
V. Sadovnikov. View towards the Kremlin from the Talyzins’ house on Vozdvizhenka. 1830s
Visitors to the portal will learn about how Count Alexander Tormasov rebuilt the city after the fire of 1812, and Adjutant General Vladimir Dolgorukov turned it into the largest commercial and industrial center of the Russian Empire.
City Day tourist portal discermoskov.comwill tell about the outstanding governors-general of Moscow. Also, users will see historical images of the city.
Read about the mayors
Material about those who previously ruled Moscow, prepared by the portal jointly with the State Historical Museum. It tells about the princes Grigory Orlov, Dmitry Golitsyn, Vladimir Dolgorukov, Sergei Romanov and Count Alexander Tormasov. Thanks to them, the city, which did not have the status of a capital at that time, led an active life, improved and developed.
Prince Grigory Orlov, the second son of the Novgorod vice-governor, was a participant in the Seven Years’ War of 1756-1763. In the battle of Zorndorf, he received three wounds, but did not leave the battlefield. This act made him a recognizable and revered figure among the officers. In 1771, during a plague epidemic, the prince was sent to Moscow, where he restored the disturbed order by prudent measures and personal example of fearlessness. He personally visited hospitals, strictly controlled the treatment of patients. The houses where the infected with the plague were identified were carefully processed, and those who died from the terrible disease were buried in special cemeteries. For this no longer a military, but a civil feat, the Empress presented Grigory Orlov with a special nominal medal with the inscription: “For the deliverance of Moscow from an ulcer in 1771”.
Count Alexander Tormasov, appointed governor-general of Moscow in 1816, took up its restoration after the fire of 1812. Thanks to his efforts, funds were allocated for an extensive program of reconstruction of the city and rendering assistance to the affected residents. In the center, the layout of streets has changed, houses and buildings of city-wide significance – hospitals, bakeries, and administrative buildings – have been restored. The reconstruction of the architectural monuments of the Kremlin, destroyed by the French army and the fire of a terrible fire, began. The city was also decorated with new buildings – the Manezh, the Synodal Printing House. Also at this time, the building of the Moscow University on Mokhovaya Street was restored, the construction of the Theater Square and the Alexander Garden began. And in 1818, a monument to Minin and Pozharsky was solemnly opened on Red Square.
Prince Dmitry Golitsyn was appointed governor-general in 1820 and ruled the city for almost a quarter of a century. By his order, the reconstruction and expansion of the boundaries of the city center and adjacent streets was carried out. During the governorship of Golitsyn, the foundation stone of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior took place, a new Moskvoretsky bridge was erected, the buildings of the Bolshoi and Maly theaters, and the First city hospital were built.
In 1865, by decree of Emperor Alexander II, Adjutant General Vladimir Dolgorukov was appointed to the post of Moscow Governor-General. Under him, Moscow turned from a small patriarchal city into the largest commercial and industrial center of the Russian Empire. Then the population of the city was more than a million people. Under Prince Dolgorukov, zemstvo and city reforms were carried out in Moscow, the administrative-territorial division was changed, water supply was improved, gasification began, and from the 1880s, electric lighting appeared and movement along the lines of a horse-drawn railway opened. During the reign of Dolgorukov, the Moscow Conservatory and the Historical Museum on Red Square were opened.
The Grand Duke, the son of Emperor Alexander II, Sergei Romanov, as Moscow mayor, did a lot to preserve the ancient architectural monuments of Moscow – St. Basil’s Cathedral, the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin in Putinki, the Archangel Cathedral in the Kremlin. Becoming the mayor, Romanov reorganized the governing bodies, paying special attention to the maintenance of law and order and the development of the city economy.
View the old streets
In another material– a selection of paintings by artists of the 18th – 19th centuries – discovermoscow.com users will be able to admire the views of old Moscow. A total of 10 works are presented. The editors of the portal have selected such paintings as “Sukharev Tower. View from Sretenka Street “(1780s) by Friedrich Hilferding,” General view of the Novospassky monastery from the side of the pond “(1800s) and” View of the Novospassky monastery and Krutitsky courtyard from the Moscow River “(1800-1801) by Alexei Bakarev, “General view of Red Square with the Cathedral of St. Basil the Blessed” (1800s) by pupils of the workshop of Fyodor Alekseev, “View of Moscow towards the Stone Bridge from the corner Vodovzvodnaya Tower of the Kremlin” (1790s) Francesco Trolli, “View of the Kremlin from Ustinsky Bridge “(1819) by Maxim Vorobyov.
The travel portal discovermoscow.com was launched in July 2021. It combines the #Moskostoboy media platform and the Discover.Moscow travel portal. The new Internet resource is useful for Muscovites and guests of the capital. All information on the portal is presented in three languages - Russian, English and Chinese.
The State Historical Museum is one of the largest museums in the world. Here are kept priceless monuments of archeology, numismatics, ancient writing, as well as weapons, works of fine and decorative arts. The museum’s collection contains more than five million items.
The complex of the State Historical Museum includes the Intercession Cathedral, the monument to Minin and Pozharsky on Red Square, the chambers of the Romanov boyars on Varvarka, the Museum of the Patriotic War of 1812. All buildings of the Historical Museum are classified as especially valuable objects of the cultural heritage of the peoples of Russia. More than one and a half million people visit the museum complex annually.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.