MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
In accordance with the instructions of the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Navy, Admiral Nikolai Yevmenov, on the intensification of military-historical work in the Navy, in military units and organizations directly subordinate to the Main Command of the Navy, events were held to mark the anniversary of the opening of the “Road of Life” during the Great Patriotic War.
On September 12, 1941, the water route of the legendary “Roads of Life” began its work, connecting the blocked Leningrad with the mainland and saving the lives of many thousands of Leningraders.
The blockade of Leningrad began on September 8, 1941, when the fascist troops captured Shlisselburg and the land communication between Leningrad and the country was interrupted. Ladoga remained as the last hope for the supply of the besieged city. On September 12, the first convoy of ships arrived at the port of Osinovets, delivering 800 tons of grain; on the same day, 60 tons of ammunition for the Leningrad Front was unloaded from the patrol ship Purga. This marked the beginning of transportation by waterway. From September 12 to November 15, when the navigation officially ended, 24,097 tons of grain, flour and cereals, more than 1,130 tons of meat and dairy products and other cargo were delivered across Ladoga
With the beginning of winter and freeze-up, the ice track, called by the Leningraders “Dear Life”, came into operation. The Road of Life was especially important in the first blockade winter of 1941-1942, when over 360 thousand tons of cargo were delivered to Leningrad along it, 6 rifle divisions and a tank brigade were transported with full weapons. At the same time, 539 thousand 400 people were evacuated, about 3.7 thousand cars of industrial equipment and other property. The total amount of goods transported to Leningrad along the “Road of Life” for the entire period of its operation amounted to over 1 million 615 thousand tons. During the same time, about 1 million 376 thousand people were evacuated from the city. To supply oil products to the besieged city, the Ladoga oil pipeline was laid along the bottom of the lake.
On January 18, 1943, with the capture of Shlisselburg by Soviet troops, the Leningrad blockade was broken. “The road of life” was replaced by the “Road of Victory” – a railway from Leningrad to Volkhov.
In 1974, a memorial station-monument was erected at the station Ladoga Lake near Osinovets.
1 2 3 4 5
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.