MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Sergei Sobyanin visited the pavilions “Geology”, “Microbiological Industry” and the center of national equestrian traditions.
Large-scale reconstruction is underway at VDNKh. Sergei Sobyanin visited the pavilions “Geology”, “Microbiological Industry” and the center of national equestrian traditions, where a riding school began to work.
“VDNKh continues to develop. This year, almost 99 percent of the work on the creation of a new engineering infrastructure and a huge improvement on more than 300 hectares of VDNKh has been completed. The appearance, the external landscape, VDNKh has acquired a somewhat pristine appearance, but it has also significantly improved its specific characteristics in terms of quality, and, of course, the face of VDNKh has seriously changed for the better, “said the Moscow Mayor.
In addition, the scientific restoration of 23 unique cultural objects has been completed. In one of them – the center of national equestrian traditions – a geological museum will be created. Today the Forest Museum has opened, a center of national equestrian traditions has been opened – a joint project of the Moscow Government and the Kremlin riding school, which will develop: today there is an open arena, and an indoor arena will soon appear.
The center of national equestrian traditions will host Russian and international competitions.
From “Horse breeding” to the center of national equestrian traditions
In 1953-1954, on the site of the Rabbit and Sericulture pavilions, three buildings of the Horse Breeding exposition were built – pavilions No. 40, 41 and 43. They were erected according to the project of the architect M. Titov in the style of Palladianism and in the traditions of the equestrian estates of Russia XVIII-XIX centuries.
The manege designed by V. Margulis – now pavilion No. 42 “Animal husbandry”, also belonged to the same complex. Shows of horses and other farm animals were held there. The entrance to the arena was decorated with monuments to the winners of the 1954 exhibition – the Orlov trotter Kvadrat and the Budennovsk horse Symbol.
There was also a small octahedral canopy pavilion for the demonstration of the Astrakhan breed camels. Now it houses a cafe.
In each of the three main buildings of the Horse Breeding exposition, certain breeds were exhibited. In pavilion 40 there are local breeds, in pavilion 41 – riding, in pavilion 43 – trotting and heavy draft. The 1954 show featured 200 horses of 29 breeds.
Until the 1990s, Pavilion No. 41 (formerly “Horse Breeding-2”) retained its historical purpose, and then was used as a warehouse or was closed.
Pavilion No. 42 was used as an arena for the display and examination of various animals. In 1967 it was reconstructed, it got a new reinforced concrete facade and it was renamed “Livestock”. Meetings and seminars of livestock breeders, scientists and practitioners were held here. Then the building housed a store and a clothing warehouse, occasionally exhibited animals and birds, and in the early 2000s, exhibitions of cats and dogs were held. In recent years, the building has been closed or used as a warehouse.
Pavilion No. 43 (former “Horse breeding-1”) is the only one that retained its historical function until 2018. Equestrian club “Achilles” was located here.
All pavilions were in an unsatisfactory or emergency condition. In 2015, the equestrian club “Kremlin Riding School” came up with a proposal to create a center of national equestrian traditions on the basis of the historical pavilions of the “Horse Breeding” exposition. The idea was supported by Sergei Sobyanin.
The total area of the center will be 25.4 thousand square meters. It organizes sections and circles for children and youth. Equestrian shows, horse riding and other events will also be held here. The project is being implemented in two stages.
As part of the first stage, the overhaul of pavilions No. 41, 42 and 43 is being completed, the territory of the exit circle with stands for 800 seats has been landscaped, a building for storing feed has been erected, and a non-capital structure for horse riding is under construction. There is also a platform for an exit circle, two stables for 72 stalls, large levada, a walker and an open equestrian parade ground with an area of 4.8 thousand square meters. As part of the second stage, an indoor arena with a total area of 7.8 thousand square meters will be created.
Overhaul of the pavilions began in July 2019, the work is planned to be completed by the end of this year.
“There is a wonderful playground here, a lot of children, very good reviews. All Russia is waiting, and domestic horse breeding too. This is a very good thing, a good impetus for the development of our national breeds, our national heritage. Great art, which is proud not only in Russia, but also in Europe “, – said Boris Petrov, General Director of the Equestrian Club” Kremlin Riding School “JSC.
Gastronomic site “Restomarket”
On the site of the lost pavilion “Veterinary” it is planned to open a gastronomic site “Restomarket”. The two-storey complex next to the historic livestock town will have 10 culinary zones and a banquet hall with approximately 400 seats.
Restomarket will bring together different establishments with their own style and culinary philosophy under one roof. Guests can get acquainted with dishes of different national cuisines. Also, master classes, tastings and other events will be held here.
In the warm season, a veranda will work on the territory of the site, where food festivals and open-air fairs can be held.
Pavilion “Microbiological Industry”
Pavilion No. 30 “Microbiological Industry” was built in 1938-1939. In the first years after its opening, it was dedicated to oilseeds – this is reminiscent of the preserved carved wooden pediment with images of flowers of oilseeds (the sunflower is the easiest to recognize from them).
In 1954, the exposition “Cotton” was placed in the pavilion. This theme is the subject of the stucco reliefs of the main facade, created during the reconstruction of the building in the early 1950s by the project of the architect Valentina Bochkareva.
In the mid-1960s, the pavilion was redesigned again, and it got its current name. The exposition inside told about the study and widespread use of microorganisms in the national economy and health care, including for the production of food and feed, antibiotics, and enzymes. At the turn of the century, the pavilion hosted exhibitions dedicated to biotechnology, pharmacy, and cosmetics. It also sold seedlings, seeds and gardening tools.
The building is an architectural monument, its area is 782 square meters. The facade was decorated with columns, and the interiors were decorated with stucco, painting, panels, artistic carvings with images of plants and flowers. However, over several decades, the decoration has become badly dilapidated.
In 2019, repair and restoration work began in the pavilion. The wooden frame was restored, the surviving elements were restored, and the lost ones were recreated. So, they put in order a carved wooden pediment, 18 panels in the sgraffito technique, which were painted over with paint, stucco and ceramic decor. In the interiors of the halls, ceiling paintings with floral ornaments were discovered and restored.
The main work on the reconstruction of the interiors, the laying of communications and the improvement of the territory has been completed, the restoration of the fountain in the form of a bouquet of oil-bearing plants with ceramic lining, which is located in the courtyard, is underway. It is scheduled to be completed in 2022.
After the completion of the work, the pavilion is going to house the Biotech Museum, as well as areas for seminars, master classes and lectures. The project is being implemented by the Federal Research Center “Fundamentals of Biotechnology” of the Russian Academy of Sciences in cooperation with representatives of the specialized business.
Pavilion No. 31 “Geology” was built in 1954 according to the project of the architect Leonid Pavlov. At first it was called “Flax, hemp and other bast crops.” An experimental site was located nearby to demonstrate the technique used in the cultivation and processing of flax. Since 1956, the pavilion has housed an exposition dedicated to the achievements of the bast and woolen, and then linen and woolen industries.
In 1959, the subject matter of the exhibitions changed – the Geology exposition was opened in the pavilion. It was devoted to the variety of minerals and ores, diamond and coal deposits, the latest achievements in the field of methodological and technical support of geological and physical works. Thanks to the electrified map, visitors could explore the most important areas of mining (the sections “Kursk Magnetic Anomaly”, “Yakutsk Diamonds”, “Turgai Deposits” and others were presented on it), and drilling, geophysical and mining equipment was demonstrated in the open area near the pavilion. In the 1990s, the exposition was closed, and the pavilion was occupied by shops and warehouses.
In recent years, a comprehensive restoration of the historic building has been carried out. During work in 2017, graphic fragments in the minimalist style of the late 1950s – early 1960s were discovered on the columns inside the pavilion, which depict a helicopter, a floating dredge, a campground, geologists at work, rocks and trees.
The restoration and adaptation of the pavilion for modern use is planned to be completed by the end of 2021. After their completion, the exhibition “12 signs of the living” of the State Biological Museum named after K.A. Timiryazev. The exposition will tell you what life is, from a scientific point of view.
History and modernity of nuclear power
The pavilion of the State Corporation “Rosatom” is being built on the site of the former pavilion No. 19 – a typical building made of aluminum and glass, which was in poor technical condition. Previously, this site housed the pavilions “Tajik SSR” and “Tatar ASSR”. In 1967, the pavilion “Mechanization and Electrification of Agriculture” was built in their place, which was later named “The Main Demonstration and Testing Computing Center”. The exposition inside was devoted to the capabilities of electronic computers.
In the 1990s, the pavilion housed the information and exhibition center of the Ministry of the Russian Federation for Civil Defense, Emergencies and Elimination of the Consequences of Natural Disasters. It hosted exhibitions of rescue equipment and seminars on the work of rescue services. Part of the building was rented out (for retail and office space).
A new stage in the development of this territory in the central part of the exhibition is associated with the creation of the nuclear energy museum of the Rosatom corporation. A pavilion at VDNKh has already been dedicated to this industry. In 1956, during the All-Union Industrial Exhibition, Pavilion No. 62 was named “Atomic Energy for Peaceful Purposes”. Visitors were shown measuring instruments, a collection of uranium ores, radiological protection equipment and models of installations for thermonuclear research. In the central hall there was an operating uranium-235 nuclear reactor with a capacity of 100 kilowatts. Guests could observe the Cherenkov effect – a characteristic blue glow in the water column that occurs during a nuclear reaction. The atomic pavilion has become an obligatory part of the excursion programs for foreign delegations.
In 1964, due to the expansion of the exposition, the thematic exhibition was moved to Pavilion No. 71. Among the exhibits were models of nuclear reactors and nuclear installations, which demonstrated the principles of operation of nuclear power plants and nuclear icebreakers.
Nowadays, Pavilion No. 71 has opened the Palace of Public Services, and Pavilion No. 62, which received the name “Nature Protection” when the exhibition was changed in 1967, now houses the International Ballet Center.
However, the atomic theme did not leave VDNKh. To create the Atom pavilion, the Moscow Government together with the Rosatom corporation held an international competition in 2016, in which the architectural concept of the Russian design bureau UNK project won. The new building will have seven floors, three of which are underground. The total area of the pavilion will be 25.1 thousand square meters, including 1.2 thousand – the operated roof.
The concept of the future museum is to show the history and modern achievements of the domestic nuclear energy as a high-tech and safe industry that makes a great contribution to the country’s economic development. Visitors will be able to get better acquainted with the atomic project of the USSR, see the installations “Tokamak”, “Nuclear Reactor” and get acquainted with interesting exhibits.
The modern exhibition complex is being built in the format of a scientific center, it will be intended for both a wide audience and professionals working in the field of nuclear energy.
The space is divided into three parts. Underground – an exposition dedicated to fundamental knowledge, the first ground floor – an exposition dedicated to modernity. It is also planned to organize changing exhibitions there, as well as conduct educational thematic exhibitions. The upper floors are a free communication zone.
The ground space includes an open part, which is intended mainly for a changeable exhibition, and a closed one, which will house a lecture hall, creative laboratories, a reading garden, offices, and cafes.
The pavilion will have an exploited green roof. There will be a restaurant with stained-glass windows, visitors will have a view of the neighboring pavilions of the exhibition.
The project has unique technical solutions – an overhanging console with a projection length of 53 meters, as well as panoramic glazing with double-glazed windows measuring 12 by three meters (one of the largest in the world). The Kamenka River flows under the building under construction, therefore, special skill is required from designers and builders when arranging underground floors and foundations.
It is expected that the pavilion will be visited by an average of about three thousand people a day. The maximum capacity is 4.5 thousand people at a time. The construction of the pavilion began in 2018, and it is planned to finish it in 2022.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.