MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
September 30, 2021, 07:19
The Sushkin-Kevorkov estate is the oldest building on Lyusinovskaya Street. It was built in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The facades are made in eclectic style.
The restoration of the facades of the main house of the former estate of the Sushkin merchants – Kevorkov has been completed. The building is recognized as the oldest on Lyusinovskaya Street (house 27, building 1). The brick building consists of two parts with different storeys. The part of the house facing Lyusinovskaya Street is two-story. The outbuilding on the side of the courtyard has a height of three floors.
The exact date of the construction of the house has not been preserved. However, researchers attribute it to the late 18th – early 19th centuries. Over the past centuries, its layout and appearance have changed several times. The facades of the building are made in eclectic style. In their decoration you can find features of classicism and neo-Renaissance.
Large-scale restoration work began in March 2020. Before the restoration, the object was practically in disrepair. There were through cracks in the walls, and parts of the roof and ceilings were simply missing. The house was in such a deplorable state after a fire in 2017.
First, the restorers strengthened the supporting structures, brickwork and foundations, and restored the roof. Then they proceeded to restore the interiors, and also began to put in order the facades of the building.
“An important stage of restoration work of the main house of the Sushkins’ estate – Kevorkov has been completed – the historical appearance of its facades has been restored. For example, the main facade is again decorated with an attic (ledge above the upper cornice) with a cartouche. This is a decorative element in the form of an unfolded roll of paper with the coat of arms of one of the owners of the house, merchant Agabek Kevorkov. The restorers also recreated the roof parapet, openwork window frames, cornice and pilasters – flat columns. The work on the restoration of the historical appearance of the interiors is also coming to an end, “- said the head of the Moscow City Heritage Site.
He added that the main house of the Sushkin-Kevorkov merchants’ estate is an identified object of cultural heritage. All work is carried out only according to the project approved by the Moscow City Heritage Board and under the supervision of the department’s specialists.
The city estate in 1793 belonged to the merchant Ivan Sundushnikov, and in 1809 it passed to the merchant Yakov Chilikin, the owner of the congress yard of the Yakiman part. During a fire in 1812, the two-story main house was badly burned and was in desolation for a long time. By 1831, the ownership passed to the Tula merchant Denis Sushkin. He rebuilt the burnt building. The facades were designed according to the canons of late classicism.
In 1865, by order of M.G. Sushkin, the grandson of Denis Sushkin, the architect Vasiliev developed a project for rebuilding the main house. It was expanded, outbuildings appeared on the side of the courtyard. The central and side facades received a new look: elements of the neo-Renaissance appeared in the decoration of the facades. The house has acquired an elegant look thanks to the abundance of decor, as well as plaster, which imitates convex masonry.
In 1887, by order of M.G. Sushkin, the main house was reconstructed. In accordance with the project of the architect S.K. Troparevsky, the height of the building was increased – the outbuildings of the courtyard became three-story. Overlap was made inside. At the same time, new window frames were installed in the entire main house, stoves were sorted out, and instead of the old wooden staircase leading to the mezzanine, a stone (dolomite) one appeared.
At the beginning of the 20th century, under the new owner, the merchant of the first guild, Agabek Kevorkov, the main house was renovated. Most of the first floor was converted to rent, the rest of the space was occupied by the homeowner’s apartment. In 1915, a sewerage was installed in the house. After 1917, the possession of Agabek Kevorkov was nationalized. In 1918-1919, the former main house housed the Zamoskvoretsky military commissariat, later the building was transferred to the housing of the employees of the People’s Commissariat for Military Affairs. To adapt to apartments, partitions were installed here and redevelopment was carried out. This resulted in the loss of many elements in the interior design.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.