Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

We will plunge into the history of the three largest confectionery factories in Moscow at the end of the 19th – beginning of the 20th centuries.

What exactly was the taste of sweets or cookies 100 or more years ago, we do not know, but we can imagine how the advertising of confectionery products acted on the then Muscovites. It is impossible not to admire colorful posters designed by famous artists. V Main Archive of Moscow, where many old posters are kept, we have chosen several with a very interesting history. Read about how entrepreneurs Sioux, Abrikosovs and Einem influenced consumers in this mos.ru article.

Sioux: from a small pastry shop to a huge factory

This vibrant poster works great today, more than 100 years later. It instantly makes you want to brew a stronger tea and put something sweet, crunchy and crumbly on a saucer next to a cup. Cookies, sweets and other confectionery products of the S. Siu and Co ”(until 1908 -“ A. Siu and Co ”) were in great demand in pre-revolutionary Russia. After the revolution, when the company was nationalized, its glory continued under the new name “Bolshevik”. It was one of the largest and most famous Soviet confectionery factories.

The founder of the factory, Adolphe Sioux, came to Moscow in the middle of the 19th century from France to work in the field of perfumery and confectionery. He opened his small confectionery shop with a chocolate factory in 1855 in Vargin’s house on Tverskaya Street. The old house has not survived; now in its place is house 8, built in the 1940s. It is believed that the outlines of its upper floor and roof follow the contours of its predecessor.

The business brought the family of Adolphe Sioux – the wife of Eugénie and sons Charles, Louis and Adolphe – very little income. That all changed when the ambitious Frenchman got a leadership position in one of the perfume companies. The family got money that could be invested in sweet production. True, according to the terms of the contract, he could not engage in business – then the confectionery business was rewritten to Eugenie.

Armed with the principle of “high quality at a low price”, Sioux gradually won the love of not only Muscovites, but also residents of St. Petersburg, Kiev and Warsaw, where their brand stores operated. The range of products was very extensive and constantly replenished: the family business produced cookies, sweets, marshmallows, nougat, waffles, gingerbread, cakes, pastries and ice cream, as well as coffee and cocoa.

In 1884, the business passed to the sons of Adolphe Sioux. Two important changes have taken place under their leadership. First, an exemplary factory built by the French architect Oscar Didio and equipped with the latest technology was opened on the Petersburg Highway (now Leningradsky Prospekt). Secondly, Sioux began to produce perfumery products – his father insisted on fulfilling his old dream. Since 1908, confectionery products have been produced under the brand name “S. Siu and Co “(where C means” sons “), and perfumery – under the brand name” A. Sioux and Co “. In 1913, the trading house received the title of “Supplier of the court of His Imperial Majesty”. This honor was given to Sioux after the release of the cologne “In commemoration of the 300th anniversary of the Romanov dynasty”, “Susanin” sweets and “Jubilee” cookies.

By the way, advertising of Sioux products has always been at its best – and it’s not just about posters. The enterprising sons of Adolphe Sioux ensured a stable interest in their products not only for their high quality, but also for attracting collectors. At that time, many confectionery factories placed inserts with drawings on a specific topic in boxes with sweets, which were formed into collections. For example, Siu asked children to collect the series “ABC”, “Geography”, “History”, adults – “Pushkin”, “Russian Romance” and “Cabinet portrait”. The boxes themselves were very beautiful – well-known artists were involved in their design. Tin boxes with a lock, in which the highest grade sweets were sold, remained in the homes of buyers for many years, becoming favorite boxes for little things.

Marmalade from apples, cocoa and sappho sweets: the history of the Bolshevik confectionery

Apricots: technological know-how, risk and a lot of advertising

Alexey Abrikosov, one of the main competitors of Adolphe Siu, was also aware of the importance of good packaging in the confectionery business. Having inherited from his father a small factory, which employed 30 people, he almost immediately opened an art workshop in it. Abrikosov hired the famous painter Fyodor Shemyakin to direct the professional artists. Colorful packages of Apricot sweets appeared on advertising posters, house facades, billboards and, of course, in shop windows. Used Aprikosov and the trick with inserts – especially the young sweet tooth loved the cards depicting animals, which could be found in the boxes of Aprikosov cookies and sweets.

His five sons, who took over the management of the family confectionery business in 1874, continued their father’s endeavors. This red poster, decorated in the spirit of modernity, fashionable at the beginning of the twentieth century, certainly brought them considerable profit – those wishing to try the novelty of the A.I. Abrikosov’s sons, about which three cute herons were thinking, should have been a lot.

The Abrikosovs Jr. actively introduced new technologies. For example, in 1882 they patented a special machine that simplified the production of marmalade. And they also attracted specialists who developed a method for making glazed fruits – this popular dessert at that time was brought exclusively from abroad. In 1899, entrepreneurs received permission to place the state emblem on the packaging of their products.

After 1917, the Abrikosovs’ factory became a confectionery factory number 2, and then received the name of Pyotr Babaev, a revolutionary, chairman of the Sokolniki district committee.

After handing over the affairs to his sons, Aleksey Abrikosov did not fold his hands, but took up the tea trade. Once he got the idea to try to carry tea to Russia from China not by land, but by sea – through Odessa. Nobody did that then. Abrikosov was discouraged, explaining that the tea leaves could deteriorate due to moisture, but the idea turned out to be successful. So the Abrikosovs entered their last name into the tea trade.

The sweetest last name. History of the dynasty of confectioners Abrikosov

Einem: Pastry Music & Candy Tongs

Shortly before Adolphe Sioux, another young foreigner arrived in Moscow, intending to start a confectionery business here. The Prussian subject Ferdinand Theodor von Einem, or Fyodor Karlovich, as he began to call himself in Russia, began with the sawn sugar trade. In 1951 he opened his tiny shop on the Arbat. Previously, this room was occupied by the Italian confectioner Ludwig Pedotti, who recently became rich and left for Tverskaya. A few years later, Einem also moved to Petrovka.

Einem managed to earn his first big money during the Crimean War: in 1853-1856 he supplied syrups and jam to the army. His business went uphill when he took his fellow countryman, Julius Ferdinand Heuss (or Yuli Fedorovich Geis, as he was called in Moscow), a great specialist in advertising, as a companion. His ideas made Einem’s products even more attractive.

In addition to the usual postcard inserts, you could now find branded accessories in the boxes of chocolates – special tongs and napkins. Heuss also came up with the idea of ​​hiring a composer to write special music on the confectionery theme. Notes of “Chocolate Waltz”, “Cupcake-Gallop” or “Waltz Montpensier” could be obtained free of charge when purchased in a company store on Teatralnaya Square (partners opened it in 1860).

Soon the most important event happened: having collected the necessary amount, Einem and Heuss ordered a steam engine from Europe and began to build a factory on Sofiyskaya embankment. The Einem Partnership factory, founded in 1867, produced not only confectionery, but also cocoa and coffee.

Fyodor Karlovich was very loved in Moscow – not only for sweets, but also for the nobility of his soul. For every pound of biscuits sold, he was said to donate five kopecks in silver, with half of that money going to charities and half to a German school for poor orphans. It is not surprising that Julius Heuss, who took over at the helm of the factory after the death of his partner, did not change its name.

Even after the nationalization and renaming of the factory into “Krasny Oktyabr”, it was difficult to abandon the name of the good Fyodor Karlovich: for several more years the packaging of the products was marked in parentheses: “Former. Einem “.

From sweets to smoke bombs: the history of the legendary Moscow factory “Einem”

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News