MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
November 22, 2021, 15:19
Photo by M. Mishin. Press Service of the Mayor and the Moscow Government
The construction of the bridge took place as part of the reconstruction of the Volokolamskoe highway. The main work on the outbound highway has been completed.
In the north-west of the capital, traffic was opened on the bridge over the Skhodnya River, which was built as part of the reconstruction of the Volokolamskoe highway.
“A great event in the road construction of Moscow: perhaps the longest reconstruction has been completed – this is the reconstruction of the Volokolamskoe highway. In general, this is the most difficult transport hub in Moscow – from the Alabyano-Baltic Tunnel to the Moscow Ring Road. Today, the last point in this reconstruction is the construction of a new bridge across Skhodnya. The old bridge built in 1937 is morally and physically outdated and did not allow such a flow of cars to pass through. And in itself it was already emergency. A new modern bridge was built, in each direction there are five lanes – the last point in the reconstruction of Volokolamka. I think, in general, this will improve the movement in this direction, there will be fewer problems and traffic jams, “he said.
A bridge across the Skhodnya River, 150 meters long, located along the main course of the highway, replaced an old structure built in 1937, which was practically in disrepair. Traffic is organized in five lanes in each direction. This will significantly increase the throughput capacity of not only Volokolamskoye highway, but also adjacent streets.
In addition to the bridge, about 1.5 kilometers of roads were opened, including the main passage and backup links of the Volokolamskoye highway. Also, the reconstruction of an underground pedestrian crossing in the area of house 112 on Volokolamskoe highway has been completed.
From Sokol to MKAD: reconstruction of Volokolamskoe highway
The construction of a bridge across the Skhodnya River on Volokolamskoye Highway is part of a comprehensive reconstruction of the outbound highway, one of the largest projects for the development of road transport infrastructure in the north-west of Moscow. The first step towards improving traffic on the Volokolamskoe highway was the construction of the Alabyano-Baltic tunnel as part of the North-West Expressway – it became the largest in Moscow.
The highway reconstruction was divided into seven sections, taking into account the scale and complexity of the project. Work has been completed on six of them. On the section of the highway from the Moscow Central Circle (MCC) to the Sokol metro station, roads with a total length of 12.1 kilometers were built and reconstructed. Among the completed works:
– construction of the Volokolamsky tunnel;
– reconstruction of the Leningradsky tunnel;
– construction of an overpass along the Volokolamskoe highway when driving towards the Moscow Ring Road;
– Reconstruction of the adjacent sections of Leningradsky Prospekt, Leningradsky and Volokolamsky Highways, Baltiyskaya, Alabyan, Bolshaya Akademicheskaya, Cosmonaut Volkov Streets and the construction of three pedestrian crossings.
In addition, within the framework of the project for organizing passenger traffic on the MCC, the automobile and tram overpasses and adjacent sections of the Volokolamskoe highway, as well as two underground pedestrian crossings at the intersection of the highway with Pehotnaya and Panfilova streets, were reconstructed.
For a convenient access to the Volokolamskaya transport hub, roads with a total length of 295 meters were built. On the section of the highway from Akademika Kurchatov Street to the MCC, roads with a total length of 3.6 kilometers were built and reconstructed. Including were carried out:
– construction of a reversal overpass from Volokolamskoe highway on Akademika Kurchatov street;
– reconstruction of Volokolamskoe highway, local thoroughfares and an underground pedestrian crossing in the area of intersection of the highway with Akademika Kurchatov Street.
On the section of the highway from the Skhodnya River to the Moscow Canal, roads with a total length of 4.3 kilometers were built and reconstructed. Among the completed works:
– construction of an overpass at the intersection with the Stratonavtov passage and the road network in the vicinity of the Tushinskaya metro station;
– reconstruction of an underground pedestrian crossing in the area of house 88 on Volokolamskoe highway and construction of two underground pedestrian crossings in the area of houses 92 and 108 on Volokolamskoe highway.
They also reconstructed the interchanges at the intersection with the Moscow Ring Road and completed the main work on the reconstruction of the highway section from the Moscow Ring Road to the Skhodnya River, including the construction of a new bridge.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.