MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
The building of GES-2 on Bolotnaya Embankment was built by 1907 by the architect Vasily Bashkirov and was one of the oldest power plants in Moscow. In 2009, the object was awarded the status of an architectural monument.
In 2014, the building was acquired by the V-A-C Foundation for Contemporary Art. The Foundation, founded by Leonid Mikhelson, invited the Renzo Piano Building studio to turn the power plant, which has supplied energy to Moscow city infrastructure for almost 100 years, into a new cultural space that includes exhibition grounds, author’s workshops, studios of artists’ residences.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.