Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

We turn a walk along one of the old Moscow streets into an exciting excursion.

In the 15th century, in the vicinity of Maroseyka, there were royal gardens, and on the site of the street there was a road to Preobrazhenskoe and Izmailovo. The street got its name from the Little Russian courtyard – in the 17th century it was located at the corner with Bolshoi Zlatoustinsky lane. In the 18th century, the princes Baryatinsky and Saltykov lived on Maroseyka, as well as the military leader Count Peter Rumyantsev. At the same time, the merchant dynasty of the Lazarevs settled in the present Armenian Lane – patrons of the arts, who organized the Lazarev Institute of Oriental Languages ​​here in 1815.

Poultry Union Building

Maroseyka Street, 3/13, Building 1

In the 18th century, on the site of this constructivist house, there was a courtyard of the Nikolo-Ugreshsky monastery. A chapel with a hotel and a tavern were located in two stone buildings. At the end of the next century, dilapidated buildings were demolished and two-story buildings were erected. On the basis of the foundations and walls of these houses in 1928-1929, according to the project of the architect Vladimir Tsvetaev, a four-storey building of the Ptitsevodsoyuz administration was built.

In the appearance of the building, the architect embodied the theme of the house-ship, which was popular in those years: the corner part is raised and resembles a captain’s bridge. The rounded corner of the house with long balconies is crowned by a cylindrical superstructure with high windows. A vertical stained-glass window rises from the side of Lubyansky passage, behind which the main staircase is hidden. The house has elements characteristic of constructivism: a flat roof and large window openings.

At that time, the building was called the House of Trusts: in addition to the Poultry Union, there were Soyuzkrup, Svinovodsoyuz, Flax Center, Stankotrest and other institutions. In 1935, the People’s Commissariat of Finance of the USSR was located here, and in 1938 – the office of the Central Committee of the Komsomol (All-Union Leninist Communist Youth Union, or Komsomol). Since 1992, the building has been occupied by the Russian Youth Union.

The city estate of V.P. Razumovskaya – V.D. Popova – Eremeevs

Maroseyka Street, 2/15, Building 1

Having admired the building of the Poultry Union, we cast a glance across the road and are surprised to find familiar motives in the appearance of the estate in the style of classicism. Its corner rotunda served as the inspiration for the author of the constructivist building. The rotunda is decorated with semi-columns and a balcony on the second floor. Two housings are symmetrically located on either side of it. Since the house is located on a small hill, one of the buildings has three floors, and the other has four.

Originally on the site of the estate was the estate of the architect Karl Blank. In 1779, the site was bought by Varvara Razumovskaya and began construction of a palace on the site of the main house. It was completed in 1796.

During the fire of 1812, the building was not damaged – the governor of Moscow, appointed by Napoleon, Marshal Edouard Adolphe Mortier, lived in the estate, and therefore it was especially carefully guarded. Later in the same century, the architect Vasily Balashov erected an outbuilding, which was later rebuilt into a tenement house.

In 1890, the house was rebuilt by the architect Adolph Knabe, and four years later, retail premises were opened on the ground floor. At the beginning of the 20th century, the building housed a popular tavern. In 1975, the lobby of the Kitay-Gorod metro station was built into the house.

Profitable house V.K. and P.K. Mikinis

Armenian lane, building 1/8, building 1

Another house-ship in the Maroseyka area appeared in 1905. To see it, you need to turn from Maroseyka to Armenian lane and walk along it almost to the intersection with Krivokolenny.

The “bow” of this ship – a corner bay window with a balcony and a turret – connects two buildings: the first, built along the Armenian lane in 1901 (architect Vladimir Vlastov), ​​and the second, stretching along the Krivokolenny in 1905 (architect Peter Mikini).

The balcony is decorated with a bas-relief and columns, and the turret is decorated with a spire. Bay windows stand out on the facades, arched windows on the first floor are crowned with bas-reliefs in the form of lion heads. The canopy of one of the entrances is decorated with floral art nouveau ornaments, and two brackets resemble swans. Above the entrance is a shell with a female mascaron.

The apartment building was built on the site of the estate of the parents of the poet Fyodor Tyutchev, which was later owned by the writers Mikhail Katkov and Pavel Leontyev. They organized the editorial offices of the Russkiy Vestnik magazine and the Moskovskie Vedomosti newspaper in the estate. Writers Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin, Sergei Aksakov, Ivan Goncharov often visited it.

The house, which appeared on the site of the estate at the beginning of the 20th century, was inhabited at various times by the architect Pyotr Mikini, the philosopher Nikolai Berdyaev, and the chemist Sergei Medvedev.

Little Russian courtyard

Maroseyka street, 11/4, building 1

This architectural ensemble arose in the 17th century on the site of a quarter inhabited by foreigners. The stone chambers were built instead of the two courtyards of clerk Andrei Nemirov that stood here. The Tsar’s decree of 1670 read: “Little Russian cities to the Cossacks and bourgeois, who are taught to come to Moscow for all their business and with goods, to appear and record their visits in the Little Russian order and be placed in the Little Russian courtyard.”

The chambers existed in their original form until the middle of the 18th century, later the building was rebuilt many times. It acquired the features of Empire architecture as a result of restructuring in 1825-1829. In 1872, the architect Artemy Ober built a four-story apartment building on the site of the chambers, which was completed by Joseph Zalessky. On the ground floor there were retail premises, including the famous Dutfua store. It sold dining and perfume glassware.

The Little Russian courtyard also includes the house of the Naryshkins – Raguzinsky. The building was erected next to the chambers by Vasily Naryshkin in the 1690s. The facade was an example of the Naryshkin Baroque. In 1702, the new owner of the house, Raguzinsky, added the third floor, and in 1825 almost all the stucco was removed from the facade. Until 1912, the building housed the Elizabethan women’s gymnasium.

In 2020, the restoration of the Little Russian courtyard was completed, which was awarded on December 14, 2021 “Moscow restoration – 2021”… During the work, there were discoveredand restored arched windows and aisles, found church murals of the 19th century, fragments of stove tiles, a casket lined with malachite, and other items. On the facade of the courtyard, the restorers managed to restore the original appearance of a part of the brick wall – there are three windows on it, decorated with fancy platbands and framed by columns. These elements have been preserved since the time of the first owner of the house, Vasily Naryshkin. In the building itself, on the ground floor, fragments of columns from the same time were found.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News