MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –
Alexey Anatolyevich, today a meeting of the Scientific Council under the Security Council of Russia took place. What questions were discussed by the experts of the Security Council?
– Today the Secretary of the Security Council of Russia Nikolai Platonovich Patrushev summed up the results of the work of the Scientific Council for 2021. In addition, issues related to what possible challenges and threats to Russia’s security are posed by geopolitical changes in the world were discussed in detail. Director of the National Research Institute of World Economy and International Relations named after E.M. Primakov of the Russian Academy of Sciences Fedor Genrikhovich Voitolovsky made a report on this topic.
We also discussed the impact of changing the global energy balance. The Secretary General of the Forum of Gas Exporting Countries Yuri Petrovich Sentyurin made a report on this issue.
The Security Council experts also considered issues related to migration processes in the world, their impact on ensuring global, regional and national security. The rector of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations Anatoly Vasilyevich Torkunov made a presentation.
– You can talk a lot about international security. What was the focus of the members of the Scientific Council during this meeting?
– The members of the Scientific Council under the Security Council drew attention to the long-term factors of conflict in the world. Among them – the competitive perception of the US elites of countries such as Russia and China.
The reason for the conflict, in the opinion of the Scientific Council, is the fact that for the United States it is unacceptable for Russia to have its own national interests. At the same time, Russia also considers it impermissible to further expand NATO and bring the military infrastructure of the alliance closer to the Russian borders.
– Speaking about energy security, was the issue of transition to the use of renewable energy sources touched upon?
– The Security Council experts came to the conclusion that the so-called energy transition in the world as a whole is not yet synchronized with the provision of energy resources, reliable supplies of non-ferrous and rare earth metals for the needs of “green” energy and the development of renewable energy technologies.
It was noted that in the context of growing demand for energy resources, strengthening global energy security is based on the sustainability of energy supplies, including, of course, natural gas. It was emphasized that the promotion of the value of natural gas in the global energy balance as a fuel of the 21st century contributes to the achievement of sustainable development goals due to the availability, reliability, versatility, efficiency and inherent environmental friendliness.
– It is obvious that migration today has become a significant factor in the international situation. What is the Security Council’s concern in this area?
– The members of the scientific council analyzed the main reasons for the explosive growth of migration in the world in recent decades. First of all, these are economic gaps in the levels of development of the countries of the world.
In addition, the geopolitical situation and political conflicts that take place in different countries and regions of the world provoke the flow of migrants to quieter areas. It is appropriate here to recall the wars and conflicts of recent decades in Iraq, Libya, Syria, Sudan, Congo, Afghanistan. All of them led to the formation of large flows of refugees and migrants.
Migration associated with climate change remains relevant. Natural disasters remain the main cause of climate migration at the present stage.
The criminal structures involved in the transfer of people from Africa and Asia to Europe have become much more active. The revenues of criminal businesses from the transfer of migrants around the world, according to rough estimates, range from 3 to 6 billion euros per year.
When discussing the issues of migration to Russia, they spoke about the need to organize free Russian language courses for migrants. Possession and use of the country’s language as the main means of communication with the host population is one of the prerequisites for the successful integration of immigrants.
– Did you manage to maintain the effectiveness of the activities of the Scientific Council under the Security Council of Russia in connection with the difficult epidemiological situation?
– The work plan of the Scientific Council has been completed in full. All meetings of the sections of the Scientific Council were held in absentia, polling formats and videoconference modes, one meeting was held in face-to-face format.
The plenary meeting was held in an abbreviated format. The heads of the sections of the scientific staff, their deputies and speakers were invited to it.
All sounded reports and information messages will be summarized and used in the work of the Security Council apparatus.
Let me remind you that the Scientific Council under the Security Council was formed in 1993. Its activities contribute to the formation of the scientific and methodological foundation of national security. Of fundamental importance in this matter is the identification of new knowledge in this area and their system integration, as well as the formation of methodological foundations for strategic planning of sustainable socio-economic development of the Russian Federation and ensuring national security.
The decisions of the Scientific Council and the Scientific Council sections are of a recommendatory nature and are taken into account in the activities of the Security Council. They can also be sent for consideration to the interested ministries and departments, regional and municipal authorities, and the decisions of the sections of the scientific council – in the organization of the scientific and expert community.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and / or sentence structure not be perfect.