Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

The estate is located on the territory of the park of the same name. The manor’s house in its history has experienced repeated changes of owners, redevelopment, as well as several fires. In recent years it has been closed and not used.

This year, the long-awaited restoration of the manor house of the historical estate Pokrovskoye-Streshnevo will be carried out. This is a two-story building of the XVIII century with a mezzanine, built of wood in the eclectic style, and adjoining two buildings of red brick, built in the XIX century in the pseudo-Russian style, two and three floors high.

The master’s house is an object of cultural heritage of federal significance. It is located at the following address: Volokolamsk Highway, Building 52, Building 1. Throughout its history, it has experienced repeated changes of owners, redevelopment, and several fires. In recent years, the house was closed, it was not used. At the preparation stage, the specialists conducted a thorough study of the object and came to the conclusion that it is in an unsatisfactory condition.

“The building has not been used for a long time, engineering networks are not connected to it, and some of the windows are broken. Previously, the facades of the central part of the house were repeatedly repainted. Non-observance of technologies led to the destruction, peeling and peeling of the paint layers. The brick walls of the outbuildings also require serious repairs: there are significant losses of decor, the mortar has crumbled in many places, the brick under the cement is loose and covered with cracks. Judging by the damp state of the brickwork, there is no waterproofing in the house. The white-stone stairs from the side of the facade facing the park are in disrepair. Unfortunately, stone cladding, terrace and balcony railings have been almost completely lost. There are traces of numerous leaks on the ceilings,” said the Deputy Head of the Department of Capital Repairs of the city of Moscow

Sergey Melnikov.

Archival materials, as well as preserved historical analogues of decor elements and interiors, will help the restorers to revive the former splendor of the manor house. Restoration project approved in Moscow Department of Cultural Heritage. Restoration will be carried out under the supervision of this department.

Why should the monument be saved?

Colossal damage to the manor house of the Pokrovskoye-Streshnevo estate was caused by a fire that occurred in 1992. After him, they tried to comprehensively restore the object, but for various reasons the work was never completed. The monument at different times was on the balance sheet of various institutions and organizations, but there were not enough resources for its complete restoration. The second fire happened relatively recently: in 2017, the greenhouse burned down.

Now in the interiors you can still notice the results of the restoration, which began almost 30 years ago, but was not completed. Then the partitions installed in the Soviet era were dismantled in the front rooms, the burnt ceilings and their stucco decor, the ceiling painting of the White Hall, and the colonnades were recreated. At the same time, the restoration of the typesetting parquet began. They managed to make new concrete ceilings in the brick outbuildings, but the decor lost in the fire was not restored.

Now recreated in the 1990s, the premises of the second floor of the central part of the house are in poor technical condition. There are no floors, doors, furnace doors and marble lining of fireplaces are broken. The stucco decoration is partly lost. Due to the deformation of the ceilings above the first floor, deep cracks appeared on the walls, threatening the entire structure of the building. The mezzanine, which was practically rebuilt after the fire in 1992, has a modern layout and does not correspond to the historical appearance of the monument.

The main marble staircase (it was moved in the 1910s from the town house of Princess Shakhovskaya-Glebova-Streshneva, one of the owners of the estate) has been preserved, but needs restoration. The steps were worn out and cracked, the lower step was lost. The marble balusters and the wide handrail of the fence were completely destroyed. Two statues of Atlanteans on the sides of the stairs, supporting the balcony of the second floor, are also in need of restoration. The balcony railing is completely gone.

What’s to be done

During the repair and restoration work, the facade and basement of the house will be cleared and their integrity restored, cracks and other defects in the brickwork will be eliminated. The damaged stucco decoration will be cleaned and supplemented, the lost fragments will be recreated according to the surviving samples.

In addition, the white-stone parts of the central facades will be put in order, the crowning and interfloor cornices will be repaired. The semi-rotunda terrace with a balustrade is also to be restored. It is located on the side of the facade overlooking the park. This terrace is decorated with columns of the Corinthian order, and two semicircular stairs that go around it lead to the garden. Restoration awaits two balconies on the facade of the house and their fencing, as well as an internal balcony and the figures of Atlanteans supporting it.

Specialists will restore the arch of the semi-circular window in the mezzanine and dormer windows, replace the roof, and return the hip roof to the turrets on the roof. Walls and vaults in the interiors will be cleared of cement coating and cladding layers and strengthened. They will also strengthen the ceilings and the design of the main staircase, repair the marble steps, eliminate abrasions and repair cracks.

Lost balustrades along the stairs and balcony will be recreated in the house. The decoration of the premises of the first and second floors of the central part of the building, including the parquet in the main halls, will be restored and the decor elements will be restored. Specialists will put in order tiled stoves and marble fireplaces, on which stove appliances will be installed. In the central lobby, floors will be made of metlakh tiles.

The interior decoration and decor will be restored in the brick outbuildings.

On the adjacent territory, it is planned to restore a regular garden (with a clear geometric layout), a greenhouse building and a historic alley that previously led to a pond.

The Pokrovskoye-Streshnevo estate belonged to the Streshnev family for almost 250 years (since 1664). They were relatives of the ruling dynasty. In 1626, Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich married Evdokia Streshneva. From this marriage, 10 children were born, including the future Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich.

The last owner of the estate was Princess Evgenia Shakhovskaya-Glebova-Streshneva, a well-known philanthropist of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

After the revolution, the estate was requisitioned and turned into a sanatorium. In 1919, a museum was opened in the main house, in which the atmosphere of the manor’s estate was recreated. The specificity of the museum exposition was to show “the decline of noble culture in the era of the decomposition of serfdom.” In 1927 the museum was closed. Then the building was used for various purposes: as a military hospital, a rest home, a research institute. The monument was administered by various organizations.

This year, specialists will carry out restoration work at 526 objects. Among the buildings currently being restored are the Variety Theatre, the Izmalkovo estate, the Great Cathedral of the Donskoy Monastery and other.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News