Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

February 8, 2022, 07:05

Share

Photo by M. Denisov. Mos.ru

The route included 10 points related to the development of science in Russia. Users will be able to get acquainted with the history of the construction of the institutes of the Academy of Sciences and see their new and archival photographs.

A new virtual tour of the city has appeared in the chat-bot “Walks with the Guardian Lion”. It is timed to coincide with the celebration of the Day of Russian Science. It is celebrated on February 8th. This time the citizens are invited to see the buildings of the main scientific institutes of the capital and learn interesting facts about their history and architectural features.

Owners of any gadget on which the Telegram messenger is installed can take an online tour. To start using the chatbot, you need to open his page in this application, click on the Start button or the “Run” button in the Russified version of the messenger and select the desired walk from the list. Photos of architectural objects and short references about each of them will appear on the screen. Tours can be viewed free of charge without prior registration.

“The new virtual walk with the guardian lion includes 10 different historical points at once, each of which is associated with the development of science in Russia. Everyone will be able to learn about such objects as the building of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Institute of Physical Problems named after P.L. Kapitsa, Alley of scientists near the main building of Moscow State University and others. High-quality photographs are attached to the description of each place, which creates the feeling of a real excursion, ”said the head

Department of cultural heritage of the capital Alexey Emelyanov.

The route will start at the building of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Leninsky Prospekt, 32a). It houses the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, the Department of Mathematical Sciences of the Russian Academy of Sciences and other scientific organizations. This is a monumental building with a height of 22 floors. Its construction lasted for 17 years – from 1973 to 1990. It combines two architectural trends: late Soviet modernism and postmodernism. Both styles organically complement each other and make the presidium building an interesting object for those who are interested in the architecture of the 20th century.

Next, the virtual guide will offer a walk to Kosygin Street. At its beginning is the Institute of Physical Problems named after P.L. Kapitsa (Kosygina street, house 2, building 4). It was founded in 1934 specifically for the outstanding scientist Pyotr Kapitsa to continue his developments (later the institute was named after Kapitsa). The best minds of their time worked here. Theoretical physicist Lev Landau, together with Peter Kapitsa, studied the properties of liquid helium and conducted pioneering experiments. Subsequently, both scientists were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics: Lev Landau in 1962, and Pyotr Kapitsa in 1978.

After getting acquainted with the house on Kosygin Street, the virtual guide will offer to return to Leninsky Prospekt. Several institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences are located here. Many of these buildings were designed by a team of architects led by Alexei Shchusev. Including the Institute of Organic Chemistry named after N.D. Zelinsky RAS (Leninsky Prospekt, 47) and the Institute of Fine Mechanics and Computer Science named after S.A. Lebedev Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Leninsky prospect, house 51, building 1).

The first one was erected in 1954. To this day, it is one of the leading Russian research institutes in the field of chemistry. Over the years, such famous scientists as organic chemists Alexei Favorsky and Alexander Nesmeyanov, a specialist in the field of synthetic dyes Mikhail Ilyinsky and the founder of heterogeneous catalysis in organic synthesis Nikolai Zelinsky worked here – it is his name that the institute bears.

The building of the Institute of Fine Mechanics and Computer Engineering named after S.A. Lebedev RAS was built for 10 years – from 1941 to 1951. The institute conducts research in the field of information technology. Over the years, the developer of computer technology Boris Babayan, one of the creators of the first operating system for the BESM-6 computer Viktor Ivannikov and one of the developers of the Soviet Elbrus supercomputers Vladimir Pentkovsky worked here. The institute itself bears the name of one of the founders of Soviet computer technology, Sergei Lebedev.

It is proposed to complete the walk at the main building of the Moscow State University named after M.V. Lomonosov (Leninskiye Gory, house 1). This is the highest of the seven famous Stalinist skyscrapers. It was erected in 1953 according to the project of architects Lev Rudnev, Sergey Chernyshev, Pavel Abrosimov, Alexander Khryakov, Boris Iofan and engineer Vsevolod Namonov. The sculptural decoration of the facades was carried out by specialists from the workshop of Vera Mukhina. Now the main building of Moscow State University houses the rector’s office, the secretariat, the office and many faculties. This monumental building is a symbol of Russian education and science.

Russian Science Day is celebrated on February 8. The holiday was established in 1999 by decree of the President of Russia. The date of the celebration was not chosen by chance: on February 8, 1724, by order of Peter I, the Academy of Sciences and Arts was founded. The Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) is its successor.

The Department of Cultural Heritage of the City of Moscow is engaged in the protection, preservation and promotion of monuments of history and culture of the peoples of Russia. The guardian lion is a sculptural figurine of a lion cub, the mascot of the department. He often visits old mansions and buildings undergoing restoration, visits excavations and archaeological monitoring sites, visits archaeologists and restorers in their laboratories and workshops. The online project Walking with the Guardian Lion was launched in February 2021.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News