Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

February 18, 2022, 11:01

Share

View of the building of the Kiev railway station. 1930s. Main Archive of Moscow

Initially, it was wooden, later a neoclassical building appeared.

The place where the Kievsky railway station is now located was formerly called the Dorogomilovskaya Yamskaya Sloboda. Back in the 15th century, the peasants who lived here were engaged in carting, or “pit chasing”, from Moscow and back. Later, coachmen were also moved here – the settlement on the road between Kiev and Moscow was very convenient.

At the end of the 19th century, the Society of the Moscow-Kiev-Voronezh Railway appealed to the government with a request to be allowed to build tracks from Moscow to Bryansk. Consent was obtained in 1895, and two years later the construction of the Bryansk railway station itself began, information about which was preserved in the Glavarkhiv.

The station was completed in March 1899, but the building of the passenger station itself did not inspire confidence. It was a long wooden building with two entrances, inconvenient for the movement of a large number of passengers.

But on June 29, 1899, the Bryansk railway station was consecrated, and on August 1, the official opening of the railway took place – now two passenger trains could walk along it. Over time, the station building began to look even worse, and only in 1912, on the centenary of the Battle of Borodino, did the railway board allocate funds for the construction of another building of the Bryansk station. His project went to the architect Ivan Rerberg, who later built the Central Telegraph on Tverskaya Street.

The station was built in difficult years for Russia 1914-1918. The building was designed in the neoclassical style with elements of the Empire style. On February 18, 1918, the first trains departed from here. A new part of the station was the covered platform, or landing stage, which was developed by the famous engineer Vladimir Shukhov. There are only three such ceiling-arches in Moscow today: even at GUM and in the Pushkin Museum. Kievsky railway station became in 1934, and three years later, a metro station of the same name was opened near it.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI Russia News