Post sponsored by NewzEngine.com

MIL OSI Translation. Region: Russian Federation –

Source: Moscow Government – Moscow Government

During research work in the Church of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Barashi, restorers discovered a number of valuable architectural elements. They will complete the subject of protection of the object of cultural heritage of federal significance. This was reported by Natalia SerguninaDeputy Mayor of Moscow.

“Vvedenskaya church was built in the XVII century. It represents an example of the Moscow Baroque. Comprehensive restoration has not been carried out here for more than 50 years. Now specialists are developing a project for the future restoration of the church”, – said Natalia Sergunina.

The temple is located at the address: Barashevsky pereulok, 8/2, building 4. During the survey, the experts found in-wall stairs to the bell tower and the upper open gallery and traces of white stone platbanding on the inner balcony. On the way to the refectory there is a decorated wooden vestibule with glazed filleted doors. In the walls of the lower floor there are white stone slabs with epitaphs of the late XVII – early XVIII century. In addition, the subject of protection included domes characteristic for that time – onion heads on blind octagonal drums.

The Vvedenskaya Church in the XVII century was the parish church of Barashevskaya palace sloboda – a settlement of tsar’s servants who accompanied the army during campaigns. The first church, according to the scribe books, was erected in 1625 from wood. In 1640s it was rebuilt in stone, and a little later it was supplemented with two side chapels (annexes with additional altars). In 1688-1701 the building was enlarged to include part of the former walls. The church acquired its present appearance after the erection of the bell tower in the 1740s.

In 1932 the church was closed. The most valuable icons were transferred to the State Tretyakov Gallery, and the original iconostasis and interior decoration were destroyed. The church was first converted into a hostel for workers, and then into a factory for electrical products.

The historic facades were restored only in 1990. However, services are still held in the church, only in the refectory. The lower floor and the third tier of the bell tower are reserved for the clergy.

Please note; This information is raw content directly from the source of the information. It is accurate to what the source states and does not reflect the position of MIL-OSI or its customers.

Please note; This information is raw content directly from the information source. It is accurate to what the source is stating and does not reflect the position of MIL-OSI or its clients.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article is a translation. Apologies should the grammar and or sentence structure not be perfect.

MIL OSI News (multilanguage service)